select screen like regualar stage

ABK

Well-known member
Select screen is now kinda limited and for example i cant use any effects as subentity at different Z attitude(theyre always random behind or in front of character), also i cant use jumpframes cause velocity is pushin me automatically forward, cant this be removed to allow us normal control like in regular stage, i dont see any usage for that auto velocity and i wanted to make my character jump out offscreen  from select screen but its not possible cause he gets pushed.
Currently select screen is very limited but removing some of these problems could help ?
Alpha value for shadow in select screen is random sometimes so i have to move my shadow and use waiting anim just to fix this.
I know its possible to script select screen but why not use what we already have and give more freedom?
 
Because many logic are based o level. The select screen doesn't have a level, it is just another kind of menu with some hacks to display entities. To make it works like a level means hacking everywhere where level is involved. Even though, it still doesn't serve everyone because the character scrolling/map cycling logic is hard coded.

It is easier to just code a select level. I recall I made one before based on battle toads before, maybe I can dig it up to see if it can be changed to fit the new engine.
 
So maybe its better to hardcode completely new select screen and keep old one just for backward compatibility?
I like scripts but i try to use hardcoded stuff first and still using throwing knife command to spawn some effects instead of spawning them with script.
 
;D

The problem is there's unlikely anyone who wants to do that currently.
Personally, if I have the time, I prefer to write a script and put it in the download section.

 
yeah, some mods did had custom select screens but i dont remember which ones, i know mixmasters had but was very confusing.
 
also i cant use jumpframes cause velocity is pushin me automatically forward,

What do you mean?  Can't you just use a jumpframe in anim select?
 
I had problem with it and my char was pushed forward but now it appears to be fine when i did it from scratch, i dont get it, wasted so much time on it yesterday and now works. :o
 
Have a look at the Fate-X demo by volcanic. I believe that is exactly what you are looking for. He makes use of branches, some really high level stuff as well.
 
Ill try, seeing how i make all the spelling mistakes in hurry no wonder i get some problems ;D
 
Could it be added to allow 'PANEL' type entities on selectscreen ? , so we could have animated background without heavy script.

 
You can just summon another one with animated effect. Panel type is not needed because there's no scrolling there, type one is OK.
 
It was kinda obvious to me to try it this way at first, but I wanted it to animate seemlessly between characters, I thought it might look weird when you cycle back to first char and it respawns.

It's looking pretty good thou like this, Cheers!

Is there a way to kill off the existing entity when first player spawns a new entity ? 
Just in case people scroll through the chars a few times before selecting, and spawn dozens of them.
 
Summon only spawns the entity once.
Each player has one one entity in the select screen no matter how you change the characters.
 
That's what i thought.  Summonframe diddn't seem to work the first time I tried, it's working now tho  :o

Thanks again, and for quick response :)
 
Oh I forgot if you are playing a 2 player game there will be a second entity.

However it is still easy to deal by add a check in the bg entity.

@script
if(getglobalvar("selectbg")==NULL())
  setglobalvar("selectbg", getlocalvar("self"));
else
  killentity(getlocalvar("self"));
@end_script

onkillscript @script
void main() {
  if(getglobalvar("selectbg")==getlocalvar("self"))
    setglobalvar("selectbg", NULL());
}
@end_script
 
Back
Top Bottom