how to replace characters from an bor game to another?

behnam

New member
hi friends.i want to begin learning for creating the games.
and want to begin with this stage.i want to know how can i change playable characters and enemies from an mod bor game to another.like move Ryu from  street fighter  in mortal kombat.
 
Hi!
Firstly, i'm glad to see you beginning your own project, that's the better way to make things as you want after all  ;)

I'm not the better help here, but i advice you to study how a character is made.
Read and understand the "ryu.txt" in char folder, and look all the png/gif files in the same folder to see the relations between them.
After that, it's easy to understand moving chars from another project.

keep your motivation/creativity and don't worry man, the basics are not that hard  8)
 
Basically...

in MODELS.TXT
(assuming his folder is CHARS/RYU)

Code:
load   ryu    data/chars/ryu/ryu.txt

Check RYU.TXT, if there are any other entities this char requires, for example an hadouken effect.  This must also be added to models.txt

Thou it's probably less confusing if you start by making a basic char yourself so you understand more.  All the basic info you'll need is on the forums and the wiki.  But here's a crash course...


To start a basic character you just need your image files ready and palettes set. If you get them from another mod this will already be done for you.


- Copy the images to the mod folder. to DATA\CHARS\RYU

- Create a text file called RYU.TXT

- Open Ryu.txt

Below explains starting a basic char,

Code:
name   Ryu               #<-------------NAME OF MODEL/CHARACTER
type    player            #<-------------TYPE PLAYER MEANS THIS IS A PLAYABLE CHAR
health	100         #<-------------HOW MUCH HEALTH THIS CHAR HAS
speed	9            #<------------- WALKING SPEED

icon	data/chars/ryu/icon.gif       #<-------------IMAGE TO USE FOR PLAYER'S ICON


anim idle                                                    #<-------------NAME OF ANIMATION
	loop	1                                              #<------------- THIS SETS WHETHER THE ANIMATION WILL LOOP OR NOT
	delay	10                                           #<------------- THIS SETS HOW MANY TICKS PER FRAME
	offset	27 95                              #<------------- OFFSET THIS ANIMATION WILL USE
	bbox	10 5 34 94                              #<------------- COLLISION BOX
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand1.gif  #<------------- THE IMAGES THAT CREATE THE ANIMATION
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand2.gif   
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand3.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand4.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand5.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand6.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/stand7.gif 

anim walk                                          #<-------------WALKING ANIMATION
	loop	1
	delay	7
	offset	25 104
	bbox	8 8 29 93
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk01.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk02.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk03.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk04.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk05.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk06.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk07.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk08.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk09.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/walk10.gif


anim attack1                         #<-------------ATTACK ANIMATION
	loop	0
	delay	4
	bbox	13 2 31 98
	offset	29 96
	frame	data/chars/ryu/punch1-1.gif
	bbox	17 2 31 98
	frame	data/chars/ryu/punch1-2.gif
	attack	41 10 28 25 5                         #<------------- ATTACK BOX
	frame	data/chars/ryu/punch1-3.gif
	attack	41 10 43 25 5
	frame	data/chars/ryu/punch1-4.gif
	attack	0 0 0 0 0                                #<------------- ATTACK BOX DISABLED AFTER ATTACK IS FINISHED
	delay	2
	frame	data/chars/ryu/punch1-3.gif
	frame	data/chars/ryu/punch1-2.gif




That's pretty much it, there is more animations required for a playable character, but this gives you the idea.

Welcome to OpenBOR  8) 

It's really just editing text files and images in the end.  OpenBOR does pretty much everything you'll need out of the box.  Anything else is covered by scripts, for the most part you can download premade scripts from the forums.  These are as simple as using any other command.  You just have to copy the scripts to your mod.
 
FYI "Tutorials" is meant for posting completed and ready to use instructional tutorials, not for help requests or questions. I'm moving this to General Help. No big, just keep in mind for next time.

DC
 
Damon Caskey said:
FYI "Tutorials" is meant for posting completed and ready to use instructional tutorials, not for help requests or questions. I'm moving this to General Help. No big, just keep in mind for next time.

DC
thanks to all of you dear friends and thanks damon. i 'll keep this in my mind.
 
i do the same you say my friend.i copy Ryu from final fight super gold in final fight champion edition char.then go to model text and add ryu in there just like the mode text in the super gold edition and like you said even haduken need address. butthe game not load and pup op.i can change enemies to playble character also but they did not work good ;D
i do this character changing in all the games but the same problem is happen.game is not run :(
 
Just a heads up, this isn't like mugen, it's not intended to copy a char from one mod to another without editing anything.  Each mod is coded differently, you need to read over the character file and make sure you have everything you need.  A little reverse engineering is required.  It can be a good way to learn, but you need to read the manual and wiki to look up commands, this will help understand how things actually work.

WIKI - http://www.caskeys.com/arc/games/openbor/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
MANUAL - http://dcemulation.org/?title=OpenBORManual

Also links for the forums

HELPFUL LINKS
http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.0


if chars have scripts loaded you will need to copy those too.  There still could be other entities it needs loaded in models.txt

MODELS.TXT also sets things like maxattacks, freespecials etc.  So these might need to be changed for the character to work. 

looks like

maxattacktypes 20

Even then there could be conflicts with existing scripts or characters. 


This is why I don't suggest starting out with someone else's mod, it's better to add things yourself and you learn in the process. The process I showed you starts the basics of a char.  WALK, IDLE and ATTACK animation.  There is  tutorials on wiki and forums that already cover all the basics.

There is plenty of info available, feel free to ask questions if you are unsure.  But we can't really answer every question, unless you start reading the information already provided. 

Really to start a mod there's you need one thing - OPENBOR.EXE in an empty directory.  Then start adding what's required. 


When I start a new mod I have openbor.exe and some plain black backgrounds for the title screens, I add some fonts, a basic level empty level so there's something in LEVELS.TXT 

Then I start making the first character.  As soon as I you basic anims for idle, walking etc.  you can start testing things.  The only other thing needed is a dummy enemy so the stage will run, helpful links has link to topic about making "bonus levels" which is the same thing.

HTH
 
BeasTie said:
Just a heads up, this isn't like mugen, it's not intended to copy a char from one mod to another without editing anything.  Each mod is coded differently, you need to read over the character file and make sure you have everything you need.  A little reverse engineering is required.  It can be a good way to learn, but you need to read the manual and wiki to look up commands, this will help understand how things actually work.

WIKI - http://www.caskeys.com/arc/games/openbor/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
MANUAL - http://dcemulation.org/?title=OpenBORManual

Also links for the forums

HELPFUL LINKS
http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.0


if chars have scripts loaded you will need to copy those too.  There still could be other entities it needs loaded in models.txt

MODELS.TXT also sets things like maxattacks, freespecials etc.  So these might need to be changed for the character to work. 

looks like

maxattacktypes 20

Even then there could be conflicts with existing scripts or characters. 


This is why I don't suggest starting out with someone else's mod, it's better to add things yourself and you learn in the process. The process I showed you starts the basics of a char.  WALK, IDLE and ATTACK animation.  There is  tutorials on wiki and forums that already cover all the basics.

There is plenty of info available, feel free to ask questions if you are unsure.  But we can't really answer every question, unless you start reading the information already provided. 

Really to start a mod there's you need one thing - OPENBOR.EXE in an empty directory.  Then start adding what's required. 


When I start a new mod I have openbor.exe and some plain black backgrounds for the title screens, I add some fonts, a basic level empty level so there's something in LEVELS.TXT 

Then I start making the first character.  As soon as I you basic anims for idle, walking etc.  you can start testing things.  The only other thing needed is a dummy enemy so the stage will run, helpful links has link to topic about making "bonus levels" which is the same thing.

HTH
many thanks friend.i keep those words.
 
i create ryu as an character in sample bor and add the txt from him with just stand anim.
and in model txt i add the ryu for load.but game not load and the logs say this:
OpenBoR v3.0 Build 2397, Compile Date: Nov  4 2009

Game Selected: ./Paks/My Mod.pak

Initilize Video.............. 320x240 (Mode: 0, Depth: 8 Bit)
Loading menu.txt............. Done!
Loading fonts................ Done!
Timer init................... Done!
Initilize Sound..............
Failed to load: data/sounds/go.wav

Failed to load: data/sounds/block.wav

Loading sprites.............. Done!
Loading level order.......... Done!
Loading script settings...... Done!
Loading scripts.............. Done!
Loading models...............

Cacheing 'Flash'
Cacheing 'Kula'
Cacheing 'Max'
Cacheing 'Mandy'
Cacheing 'Mighty'
Cacheing 'Ryu'
Cacheing 'Apple'
Cacheing 'Meat'
Cacheing '1up'
Cacheing 'Money'
Cacheing 'Gold'
Cacheing 'Time'
Cacheing 'Box'
Cacheing 'Crate'
Cacheing 'Trash'
Cacheing 'Table'
Cacheing 'Chair'
Cacheing 'Fence'
Cacheing 'Drum'
Cacheing 'Trolly'
Cacheing 'K''
Cacheing 'biker-K''
Cacheing 'Yashiro'
Cacheing 'Ralf'
Cacheing 'Shermie'
Cacheing 'Eiji'
Cacheing 'Joe'
Cacheing 'Yamazaki'
Cacheing 'Angel'
Cacheing 'Billy'
Cacheing 'Jhun'
Cacheing 'Mrbig'
Cacheing 'Robert'
Cacheing 'Heavy'
Cacheing 'K9999'
Cacheing 'Rugal'
Cacheing 'Ramon'
Cacheing 'Knife'
Cacheing 'Shot'
Cacheing 'Star'
Cacheing 'Steam'
Cacheing 'Steamer'
Cacheing 'Furnace'
Cacheing 'Crab'
Cacheing 'Lobster'

Loading 'Flash'
Loading 'Kula'
Loading 'Max'
Loading 'Mandy'
Loading 'Mighty'

********** An Error Occurred **********
*            Shutting Down            *

Total Ram: 2296569856 Bytes
Free  Ram: 2283913216 Bytes
Used  Ram: 12656640 Bytes

Release level data........... Done!
Release graphics data........ Done!
Release game data............

Unloaded 'Ryu'
Unloaded 'Mighty'
Unloaded 'Max'
Unloaded 'Mandy'
Unloaded 'Kula'
Unloaded 'Flash'

Release game data............ Done!
Release timer................ Done!
Release input hardware....... Done!
Release sound system......... Done!

**************** Done *****************

Unable to load file 'data/chars/ryu/s1.gif'
load_cached_model #scriptbuf: 903 bytes in 1 allocs
buffer_packfile: 452 bytes in 1 allocs
Total Leaked Bytes 1355
 
See at the bottom is the actual error.

Code:
Unable to load file 'data/chars/ryu/s1.gif'


It can't find this file, or there is a problem with it.  Did you copy all the image files?
 
BeasTie said:
See at the bottom is the actual error.

Code:
Unable to load file 'data/chars/ryu/s1.gif'


It can't find this file, or there is a problem with it.  Did you copy all the image files?
yes.i just want to make character stand and playable.so copy 7 stand gif of ryu that find in cvs 2 gifs.and then copy them in to a folder and make txt as you say.and do like the samples just for stand idle.then going in model txt and add  load Ryu data/chars/ryu/ryu.txt
and not working.and also i think maybe the gif have problem.then copy some stand icon of kim from rocket viper 2 and copy those.and do like that i say before.this time game work but my character texture is broken and have orange color and bad graphics.what's that about? :-\
 
#1 - well I diddn't explain everything, because I thought you had mods with most things setup already, there could be a few reasons...

#2 - Sorry I didn't mention setting the palettes or video modes. 

you need to load palette in the char .TXT - it's just an image that contains the palette you want to use.  so say your char is DATA\CHARS\KIM and and image file is IDLE1.GIF it would be

palette data/chars/kim/idle1.gif

-------------

#3 - It's probably better to get fresh sprites from the net or mugen chars, there is a site that has all the  STREET FIGHTER chars.  There are already aligned for you so you just have convert them to .png and set palettes.  Some of them might already be like this, but I think they are in PCX format for mugen.

If you're really keen to make your own char and get started on a mod I can help you get started by sending small mod that is ready to work on plus sprites for RYU that are ready to use.  I don't mind doing this just because I can easily get all the sprites and make an empty mod for you.

#4 - Once you learn more I can show you how to setup sprites and palettes yourself so you continue to add players/enemies.

EDIT:
#5 - Forgot to ask what style of street fighter sprites do you want? Proper Capcom or SNK style??  SF2 or ALpha sprites?
 
BeasTie said:
#1 - well I diddn't explain everything, because I thought you had mods with most things setup already, there could be a few reasons...

#2 - Sorry I didn't mention setting the palettes or video modes. 

you need to load palette in the char .TXT - it's just an image that contains the palette you want to use.  so say your char is DATA\CHARS\KIM and and image file is IDLE1.GIF it would be

palette data/chars/kim/idle1.gif

-------------

#3 - It's probably better to get fresh sprites from the net or mugen chars, there is a site that has all the  STREET FIGHTER chars.  There are already aligned for you so you just have convert them to .png and set palettes.  Some of them might already be like this, but I think they are in PCX format for mugen.

If you're really keen to make your own char and get started on a mod I can help you get started by sending small mod that is ready to work on plus sprites for RYU that are ready to use.  I don't mind doing this just because I can easily get all the sprites and make an empty mod for you.

#4 - Once you learn more I can show you how to setup sprites and palettes yourself so you continue to add players/enemies.

EDIT:
#5 - Forgot to ask what style of street fighter sprites do you want? Proper Capcom or SNK style??  SF2 or ALpha sprites?
thanks friend i want to use capcom VS snk style spirite.and thanks about helping me i am waiting ;)
 
I prefer SNK too, In that case I have a mod that has him already xD

Also some other chars sprites I can send too.

I'll try and sort it out now, but it's kind of late here, if I run out of time I will it send in the morning. ;)

 
Is this style okay?

RYU.png
 
BeasTie said:
I prefer SNK too, In that case I have a mod that has him already xD

Also some other chars sprites I can send too.

I'll try and sort it out now, but it's kind of late here, if I run out of time I will it send in the morning. ;)
thanks dear friend.your so kind and good people.hope can learn step by step from you.
i am waiting for you. :)
many thanks.
 
Np, if you give me some time I'll send all the assets I've already gathered, like sfx, fonts, sprites etc.

This pack I have for ryu has every single sprite for him. Everything you could possibly need.  :)

I think have all the chars saved like this too.
 
Back
Top Bottom