Android port

  • Thread starter Thread starter utunnels
  • Start date Start date
Am I the only person who doesn't like the button layout for android? I personally don't like how the layout looks. You know, as in special button on the upper section, and a2 on the right side. With the shot attached, I'm referring the Special and A2 buttons be input like this. For Screenshot and Start buttons, it's ok to let it be like it or change the other way around. This to come out different from other controllers like start and select.

[attachment deleted by admin]
 
you can customize buttons layout and have even own graphics for it, its easy to do, i have my own layout from long time, android port is very much complete IMO, utunnels did amazing work, if devs knew how powerful openbor engine is then there would be flood of programmers making games for android, even free ones just to display adverts.
 
This level has broken script. I removed this script and now game should work fine. Here is link to fixed by myself version of game http://www.mediafire.com/file/zgnvb3r7vrtt33i/Night+Slashers+X.zip.
 
Totally new to the openbor project.

Just wondered if anyone is still working on the android port?

Couple of feature request to improve the Shield TV experience and wonder d where to direct them.

Any advice welcome
 
Couple of feature request to improve the Shield TV experience and wonder d where to direct them.
This could be tricky. Because OpenBOR in mainly a PC software, which has some ports for sure, but the main version is the Windows one.

The idea behind the ports is to be able to play on other systems, and some customizations could be needed, but it should behave as close as it is to the windows version. So if the customizations for Shield TV affects anything on the Android build (affecting its performance), it has a high chance to not be done.

And I would support this - the main Android port should be the focus, not some minor and hardware based port.
 
Thanks for the info, I was hoping to see a little more support for gamepads as currently onscreen controls need to be brought up for functions like exit. Also I'm an avid user of a games frontend and the launch intent is a little restricted afaik(along with the restrictions of my current frontend Hyperspin) Currently if more than on .pak file is within a folder it will just load to the menu. I'm sure you guys have many better thing to do but if anyone has the time or feels these issue could be addressed that would be awesome for a few of us. Thanks for the input.
 
Just watching this video and catching up on comments. Not sure if buttons is as much of an issue. Will need to test more

https://youtu.be/ty-3sJcuJEA
 
You can exit openbor from a gamepad just select quit from the main menu and openbor has always run multiple paks with a list. one day i hope we could have seperate mods on android but for now i cant see that happening.
 
Thanks msmalik, i did update tbe video link as Hono made a new specific one for the 2 issues. It highlights the control issue more clearly. With the launch intent it would need some additions to all a command to send .pak file name  to launch into game rather than menu. I may try to get a dev environment and try my hqnd at making the additions.

That would be a few months off :)
 
If a dev could point me in the right direction of the source code files that may need changing to allow an external app to pass the pak file name and location for direct launching of games that would be awesome.

I will the make this my 1st goal in learning android development. 😄
 
:) I got that far.

Edit: video update
https://youtu.be/17aUOYYo1P8

Hoping for a little more info. Never done any coding but I have the very basics of git helping out with Libretro documentation.

Adding the intent feature here is the 1st thing I have come across that I seems achievable/worthwhile for me to start learning.

Helps to look at the exact files while I watch tutorial vids. Gives things some context
 
Thatman84 said:
:) I got that far.

Edit: video update
https://youtu.be/17aUOYYo1P8

Hoping for a little more info. Never done any coding but I have the very basics of git helping out with Libretro documentation.

Adding the intent feature here is the 1st thing I have come across that I seems achievable/worthwhile for me to start learning.

Helps to look at the exact files while I watch tutorial vids. Gives things some context

Thatman, you are very welcome to join the dev team and contribute to the engine. But I suggest you to talk with Damon first.
He is the leader coder of the engine and he works on a very organized way.
 
Thank you for the offer and I will certainly speak to Deamon if needed.

I dont think it will be needed given I have no programming experience :).

I forked to repo on git to get a local copy. I did manage to have a play with learning a bit but I cant see me contributing for a fair while.

I imported the files into android studio and did get an apk to build but its not behaving properly yet. I will update here if anything works out.
 
Back
Top Bottom