Canceled [WIP] ClaFan Advanced

Project is halted prior to completion and will not receive further updates.

NickyP

Active member
Okay, okay, just to get this out there now:

There is no demo yet. This is just a WIP thread.
Actually, there totally is a demo, and you can download it here: http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=2496.0

.... Wait, no, come back! Don't leave yet! I still have stuff to show you!

ClaFan Advanced is the spiritual successor to my game, ClaFan - Classic Fantasy. But that does not mean it's a sequel, nor is it a replacement for the original. ClaFan and ClaFan Advanced are entirely separate games, and me working on one does not mean that the other is cancelled!

Rather, ClaFan Advanced is meant to achieve a different feel from the original ClaFan, while maintaining core aspects. Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself...

The most obvious change between the two games are the graphics. ClaFan used characters from NES Final Fantasy games, and also "decolored" other sprites to resemble an 8-bit look. ClaFan Advanced focuses on 16-bit era sprites, both for players and enemies. In addition, I finally stopped being a lazy ass and learned how to individualize palettes for stages; so levels are much more vibrant, colorful, and polished than they were in the original ClaFan. But that's not all!

The world is bigger

nr83kd1.png


ClaFan was modeled after classic JRPGs. In it, you traveled the world map in a top-down style with miniature sprites. Quests and other gameplay segments would take place in regular beat 'em up fashion.

ClaFan Advanced takes a completely different approach. There is no divide between map travel and gameplay. The "world map" is a string of giant stages themselves, each with multiple branching paths that will lead you elsewhere. You can take shortcuts or long routes to visit new areas. You'll be able to go to port towns, hop on a ferry, and visit other countries or even islands. Monsters will randomly spawn while you're travelling; and whether you choose to face them or run is up to you.

The result lends itself to what is essentially a 2D, 3D plane open-world. You'll travel from one town to the next yourself, struggling to survive along the way. There will be rest-stops and landmarks in between so that you can heal up, as well as alternative routes you can take. In addition, world map areas will transition between day and night. Aside from mere aesthetic differences, different and stronger monsters will appear at night, making night travel more perilous (or perhaps more exciting).

4YbZgfk.png


Towns will retain the same structure as the original ClaFan, but they too will receive the 16-bit, larger sprite treatment. Moreover, NPCs will offer much more detailed information, and anything that is particularly important will be highlighted in red.

9Y5Wnhc.png


The gameplay is deeper

mvBt4kb.png


ClaFan Advanced is called that way for a reason. It makes a number of big improvements on ClaFan's gameplay system. Here are some notable changes:
  • The HUD is reduced, the playfield is increased, and enemy lifebars now appear over enemies themselves.
  • Player attack width and range are almost double what they were in original ClaFan--so it's much easier to hit things now.
  • All characters have: a standard 5-hit combo, an aerial combo, a neutral Chain attack, and a mid-combo Chain attack.
  • Melee characters have a secondary mid-combo Chain, as well as an aerial Chain.
  • Magic characters can cast two different spells, assigned to the Magic1 and Magic2 buttons accordingly.

And that's just the beginning, it gets deeper than that. There will also be situational enemies; like ones who resist Magic or are particularly weak against Chains. More info on that as it develops.  ;)

Ah, and don't think that just because you used a character in ClaFan, they'll be the same in Advanced! The Thief for example much different than how he originally played.

The quests are... uh... questier

nnTNpdA.png


The goal in ClaFan Advanced is to build a stronger emotional connection between the player and the NPC's they are helping. Hopefully, each quest will be bigger and more substantive; almost as if each one is a mini-game in itself. Of course, ambitions are just that: ambitious--and I'm only a one-man show. So it's possible that the quests in ClaFan Advanced will have about the same level of substance as the ones in the original game. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

So that's all I have to show about ClaFan Advanced. When can you expect a demo? Eventually, not soon--only because I want the first release to be special. Something more than just a ten-minute demo. But I'll let you guys know when it happens.  :)
 
Making a new mod? You haven't changed at all Nicky.  8)

I didn't finish reading all of it because I got some things to do, but I skimmed and I see a lot of potential coming from this mod. Maybe when I'm done with my current business, I could help you out with some small things here and there, that, way, you can focus more on script and other advanced stuff.  ;)

x)
 
Great, finally you slapped yourself out of lazyness :D

There will be rest-stops and landmarks in between so that you can heal up

Do you need script to heal and restore MP?

Monsters will randomly spawn while you're travelling; and whether you choose to face them or run is up to you.

You should combine that random monster spawner with infinite spawner so there will always be monsters on the map

The "world map" is a string of giant stages themselves, each with multiple branching paths that will lead you elsewhere.

Great!
 
Read every word, and looks quite promising.

I think you have really grown as an author. You always had good ideas. It just seemed you preferred trying every unstable hack in the business as opposed to learning that one tidbit of script or engine function that would ease workload in the long run and push your feature set to what it could/should be.

Now that you are starting to bust out of that bubble, I think your potential is really going to shine! I wasn't the least interested in ClaFan, but this? This looks fantastic and I'll be first in line waiting for the release. Good luck!

DC
 
;D Aw jeez guys, thanks for your thoughts.

DJGameFreakTheIguana said:
Maybe when I'm done with my current business, I could help you out with some small things here and there, that, way, you can focus more on script and other advanced stuff.  ;)

Help is always appreciated. I think I'm good on characters and enemies... but what I really need is level graphics. Got any sheets/links hanging around that might be useful?

Bloodbane said:
Do you need script to heal and restore MP?

Wouldn't this work?

@script
int iHP=0;
int iMP=0;
int i;
void ip;
int rng;
void player = getlocalvar("player");
int castx = getentityproperty(player, "x");
if(frame == 0){
for (i=0; i<=3;i++){
ip = getplayerproperty(i, "entity");
rng = getentityproperty(ip, "x")-castx;
if ((rng >=0)&&(rng<400)){
iHP = getentityproperty(ip, "health");
changeentityproperty(ip, "health", iHP + 999);
iMP = getentityproperty(ip, "mp");
changeentityproperty(ip, "mp", iMP + 999);
}
if ((rng<0)&&(rng>-400)){
iHP = getentityproperty(ip, "health");
changeentityproperty(ip, "health", iHP + 999);
iMP = getentityproperty(ip, "mp");
changeentityproperty(ip, "mp", iMP + 999);
}
}
}
@end_script

Bloodbane said:
You should combine that random monster spawner with infinite spawner so there will always be monsters on the map

The way I have it set up, monsters are spawned in timed intervals. So you can run into a group, slay them, and wait a minute or so for a new group to appear.

Damon Caskey said:
I think you have really grown as an author. You always had good ideas. It just seemed you preferred trying every unstable hack in the business as opposed to learning that one tidbit of script or engine function that would ease workload in the long run and push your feature set to what it could/should be.

Now that you are starting to bust out of that bubble, I think your potential is really going to shine! I wasn't the least interested in ClaFan, but this? This looks fantastic and I'll be first in line waiting for the release. Good luck!

:)
 
NickyP said:
DJGameFreakTheIguana said:
Maybe when I'm done with my current business, I could help you out with some small things here and there, that, way, you can focus more on script and other advanced stuff.  ;)

Help is always appreciated. I think I'm good on characters and enemies... but what I really need is level graphics. Got any sheets/links hanging around that might be useful?
If you want to use them, I have Knights and Dragons: Endless Quest paxploded, unless they too detailed compared to the 16-bit look you're going for. Aside from that, maybe I can rip Golden Axe stages, I need to do that for Sega Brawlers anyway.

x)

[attachment deleted by admin]
 
DJGameFreakTheIguana said:
If you want to use them, I have Knights and Dragons: Endless Quest paxploded, unless they too detailed compared to the 16-bit look you're going for. Aside from that, maybe I can rip Golden Axe stages, I need to do that for Sega Brawlers anyway.

I feel kind of bad using backgrounds that's in a well-known mod, especially considering that it'll be boring for the player to walk through the same areas he already did in Endless Quest. But honestly, I'll take anything. Resources are always good to have, and Lord knows I can just edit or recolor stuff to keep it semi-unique.

Thanks DJ.  ;)
 
Well if it works for yah, I'll zip it up and send the BG's to you via PM. Also, I'm talking about ripping Golden Axe, I was thinking of the mods we have of the series. You want them to?

x)
 
I meant a simpler one like this:

Code:
@script
    void P1 = getplayerproperty(0, "entity");
    void P2 = getplayerproperty(1, "entity");
    void P3 = getplayerproperty(2, "entity");
    void P4 = getplayerproperty(3, "entity");

    int MHP1 = getentityproperty(P1,"maxhealth");
    int MHP2 = getentityproperty(P2,"maxhealth");
    int MHP3 = getentityproperty(P3,"maxhealth");
    int MHP4 = getentityproperty(P4,"maxhealth");

    int MMP1 = getentityproperty(P1,"maxmp");
    int MMP2 = getentityproperty(P2,"maxmp");
    int MMP3 = getentityproperty(P3,"maxmp");
    int MMP4 = getentityproperty(P4,"maxmp");

    if(frame==1){ // Fully heals and refills MP at frame 2
      changeentityproperty(P1, "health", MHP1);
      changeentityproperty(P2, "health", MHP2);
      changeentityproperty(P3, "health", MHP3);
      changeentityproperty(P4, "health", MHP4);

      changeentityproperty(P1, "mp", MMP1);
      changeentityproperty(P2, "mp", MMP2);
      changeentityproperty(P3, "mp", MMP3);
      changeentityproperty(P4, "mp", MMP4);
    }
@end_script

Can be declared in dialogues if you are using them for Inn ;)

But honestly, I'll take anything. Resources are always good to have, and Lord knows I can just edit or recolor stuff to keep it semi-unique.

Have you considered using backgrounds from Legend, Iron Commando and Stone Protectors?
 
Bloodbane said:
I meant a simpler one like this:

(script)

Oh, my. That is simple. Thank you for sharing.  ;D

Bloodbane said:
Have you considered using backgrounds from Legend, Iron Commando and Stone Protectors?

I've only found character/enemy sprites of Stone Protectors, and nothing from the other two.  :-\ Do you happen to have the backgrounds on you?

By the way, how about some screenshots?

SMOcVEU.png

JKKf40v.png


ClaFan Advanced focuses more on world exploration than quests. So you'll come across areas that you can look through in a more traditional RPG sense. Some areas will be readily accessible in the world map; others will be a little more hidden.
 
I've only found character/enemy sprites of Stone Protectors, and nothing from the other two.  :-\ Do you happen to have the backgrounds on you?

I've coded one boss (with a minion helper) and one stage from that game, if you need:
ArWZy.png

(ignore the stage on that pic, its the giant stone-like char)

Here is a video of the char (I know I have a video of his stage somewhere)
Lava Boss

Dunno if it fits, but I made a custom stage for the same mugen game, if you need I can send the sprites to you:
JV9Hl.png


or even this stage?
lcit0.png


pm me if you want those
 
Do you happen to have the backgrounds on you?

Well, I only ripped jungle background from Iron Commando and it's used in GI Joe mod. For Legend, Count Monte sent me ripped stage 1 background.

However, after seeing the nice shots, I don't know if you can use them.
 
Back
Top Bottom