Using OpenBOR to create a game for an upcoming GameJam - where do I start?

mikearsenault

New member
Hello everyone,

I will be taking place in a Game Jam up here in Winnipeg this weekend, and I would love to make a side-scrolling brawler. I found OpenBOR and then this community, which seems great from the brief amount i have read. But as someone new to the platform, I have no idea really where to start?

I will be developing on PC for a PC audience, and I downloaded the tool from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openbor/

The readme says my project folders should be set up like so:

-> OpenBOR/
      |
      -> OpenBOR.exe
      -> borpak.exe
      -> packer.bat
      -> paxplode.bat
      |
      -> Paks/
      -> ScreenShots/
      -> Logs/
      -> Saves/

But when I extract all of the files, borpak.exe, packer.bat and paxplode.bat are missing? When you go to run OpenBOR.exe and click on A to start game, the whole thing crashes. I am guessing I am missing a bunch of stuff, where do I need to go and what do I need to download to make all of this work and have everything ready to develop a game of my own?

Also, is this the official documentation for the tool:  http://dcemulation.org/?title=OpenBORManual  ?
 
You're info is pretty much all wrong, but no big - we're here to help. Unfortunately you caught us at a time when we are restructuring documentation - most of it is hopelessly out of date.

First, as is mentioned on the front page of Sourceforge, OpenBOR is now at Github. Head over here to get the latest binary (don't get a Legacy build, look lower).

The tools you need for building a module are not part of the engine itself. That's available here, which indecently, is part of the tools download area of this website, where you should probably look around - there are all kinds of goodies there that might come in handy.

As for the manual - we are currently rebuilding a wiki, located here. It contains everything in that manual (as a legacy), and newer information is being added daily. That's where you want to go.

The rest you're just going to have to ask, and we will gladly answer questions. Our documentation is a work in progress, but OpenBOR is the best and most versatile sprite engine you will find, bar none, and we're glad to have you join the community!

DC
 
ahaha, so what you are saying is that I am off to an amazing start lol!

Thank you so much for all of this info!! I am going to try gathering up all of this stuff from the links you've shared and installing everything tonight.
 
Back
Top Bottom