• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

OpenBOR v3.0 Build 4453 (Windows/Wii/PSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCurrent

Site Owner, OpenBOR Project Leader
Staff member
Hey guys, it's new release time.

Now don't get too excited,  I have some big things coming (attack boxes, script control over collision,etc.), but this is more or less a development release, and it might not be a popular one once you read below.

Color Depth

8bit, and 16bit color depth modes are dropped. OpenBOR now only runs in 32bit mode. What this means for you is...

• Remap model attribute is depreciated. Any module using the old "remap" command in model texts (that is to say, most of the old library) is no longer supported and will not load.
  • Colourdepth video text attribute is depreciated. If this command is found, an alert is sent to the log, but otherwise it will be ignored.
  • Since 8-bit mode is gone, the modern individual palette system is default by proxy. No more confusing the heck out of new authors. Now the right way is the only way.

The advantage, aside from making lives simpler for module making going forward, is it also removes a ton of code from the engine itself. 8bit was only for backward compatibility, and that just isn't worth it any more when all it does is confound new folks and give a bad first impression about the engine's capabilities. 16bit is completely pointless these days. It was meant specifically as a port friendly alternative to 32bit, but technology marches on and most of them have been dropped or run 32bit natively. In short, there's no reason for a 32bit application to pretend it's something less.

Discontinued Ports

The following ports have been De-facto discontinued for nearly two years. It's time  to make it official.

• Dreamcast
  • GPX2
  • WIZ

Obviously you can still run OpenBOR on these platforms - we just won't be continuing development for them. I know this will disappoint a few, but as I said above, nothing really changed. We haven't released a new compiled build for any of these devices in quite some time. It's just time to move on - the official removal of their support represents a HUGE amount of bloatware out of the OpenBOR code base (~800MB).

Download

If the engine will run in 32bits by default, is there any chance to see 24bit support for png on backgrounds or cutscenes?

O Ilusionista said:
If the engine will run in 32bits by default, is there any chance to see 24bit support for png on backgrounds or cutscenes?

Didn't you know? You can use high color .png backgrounds, that's been around a while, though obviously it required you to be using 32bit mode to work.

DC

I tried testing few of the .pak files i got from a repository of old .pak files. They seem all to be working fine with the newest build, but it's not said to be working around others, because i'm not intended to download lots of mods.

However, replacing it with bloodbane's blank projects, i can notice it activated the music playing queue text.
P39zavc.png

When i'm going to make my mod, i want to toggle it off for adjustments.

sc00pj0hn said:
I tried testing few of the .pak files i got from a repository of old .pak files. They seem all to be working fine with the newest build, but it's not said to be working around others, because i'm not intended to download lots of mods.

The deciding factor is if they use the remap model command instead of the newer alternatepal. The later has been around for a few years, so many old modules will have it. But really, really, old modules will all be using remap, and thus won't work.

However, replacing it with bloodbane's blank projects, i can notice it activated the music playing queue text.
P39zavc.png

When i'm going to make my mod, i want to toggle it off for adjustments.

That's an option OpenBOR always had. It probably got turned on because new builds use new save files. You can turn it off in the menu. I can't remember at the moment how to toggle it in modules, but should be in the manual.

Damon Caskey said:
O Ilusionista said:

Didn't you know? You can use high color .png backgrounds, that's been around a while, though obviously it required you to be using 32bit mode to work.

DC

really? I will take a look. Last time I tried, I got "pixel aspect" error. Maybe its the wrong color mode.

Damon Caskey said:
That's an option OpenBOR always had. It probably got turned on because new builds use new save files. You can turn it off in the menu. I can't remember at the moment how to toggle it in modules, but should be in the manual.

Don't know where it is... i used CTRL+F to look for a keyword relating to it in the manual, but i don't seem to find it.

I noticed that i haven't seen my clock of OpenBOR, but once i saw it, it was set to one day earlier from today's... how do i fix it?

Getting rid of the 8 and 16 bit was the best thing.

*Flashbacks on the various palette issues while trying to mod with the global palette*

Why openbor engine 4432 crash with istruction
ENDHOLE 1 ?
This happen with 4453 too.
Thanks for suggesting ALTERNATEPAL, I must remember.
---EDITED---
Sorry I forgot this problem was already solved with simple HOLE command.

Natan said:
Why openbor engine 4432 crash with istruction
ENDHOLE 1 ?

Thanks for suggesting ALTERNATEPAL, I must remember.

You might want to take this post to the discussion about Build 4432, this thread is about Build 4453. :I

Was there really a big difference between 32bit and 16bit other than compatibility for ports? I'm asking because the entire time I've been using 16bit and I'm wondering if it'll really effect me to switch over.

DintheAbary said:

No. You won't notice any difference. Procedurally they work exactly the same.

16bit was technically more limiting than 32bit (~65,000 colors on screen vs. ~4 million). As you might imagine though, most folks would be hard pressed to come anywhere near 65,000.

Also FYI, 32bit allows you to use 24bit .png images in your backgrounds.

Playing it and having a blast. That baby is great!
Now, if only we could have an updated Obeditor and CC Modder's tools... That would be epic!

Kurisu said:
Playing it and having a blast. That baby is great!
Now, if only we could have an updated Obeditor and CC Modder's tools... That would be epic!

Isn't Obeditor compatible with the new build? Also, i haven't tried CC Modder because i thought it is incomplete.

In fact, OBeditor is pretty old and can screw your files. I use it only making platform and for some placements on stages
But I keep a backup of my files, always.

O Ilusionista said:
In fact, OBeditor is pretty old and can screw your files. I use it only making platform and for some placements on stages
But I keep a backup of my files, always.

Ouch, is openborstats better or does CC Modder have enough functions for everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom