• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Native iOS Port of OpenBOR: early, but working!

Just for a update i am trying now to compile through command line but there is a issue with a png library file so i am trying to recomile that library and hopefully i will have a working ipa after that.

Just for a update i am trying now to compile through command line but there is a issue with a png library file so i am trying to recomile that library and hopefully i will have a working ipa after that.
Thank for the update man and for not giving up so far. I will be here and test it as soon as you will post something if you will be successful.
I wish i could help you with the more technical stuff too but i have no clue about that.

@magggas hope this one works !

@magggas hope this one works !

Okay, sorry for the wait, i just made a quick test and yes it's now working on both ipad and iphone! The touch controlls are working fine but besides start button they are just not what they say and you can't change/configure them with touch. As i said this was just a very quick test, so a bit later i will test it more and with the controller as well and i will reporte you back a more detailed feedback.

Oh yeah made xcode my bitch lol. I will wait for your in-depth report to confirm what is and is not working.

Might as well try again to jailbreak that iphone.

Okay, here i am after some more testing. Let's start with the controls first:
Both touch and bluetoth controller are working. Tested also to connect and disconnect the bluetooth controller during gameplay and everything worked as intended. Meaning the touch controls will appear/active or disappear/deactive when bluetooth controller connect/disconnect.

Now the touch controls issues.
Some buttons are set wrong by default:
Jump is Attack1
Attack3 is Jump
Attack1 is Attack3

The Directional, Start, Esc and Attack2 buttons are correct. Attack4 and Sp buttons did nothing but i may have to test a game that is using them.

One more thing is that the Directional buttons are working but are not fluid and kind of buggy when you try diagonal movements. Like when you try to move i cyrcle in place, the char is getting stuck moving in one diagonal direction.

And the last thing i would say about the touch controls overal, as you can see in the videos below, the action buttons need to be a bit bigger.

Other general Issues:
-As you can also see in the end of the ipad video, the engine is only generating the ScriptLog.txt but Not the OpenBorLog.txt. This issue was also on the original ipa i was using before.

-On the iphone the app is not fullscreen and looks smaller with extra balck bars on top and bottom too. This would have also appear like that on my ipad too, but the Trollstore method i used to install it there is eliminating this issue somehow on that device. Anyway, the point is, if you will figure it out it will be cool to make the App to support the correct screensize for each device. That's a minor thing anyway.

Wha's left to test next: Mods with Webm videos to see if that's okay too.

And finally here are also some short test videos. On the second i also activated one debug option too and as you see it works normally:

So, now i will just take a small break to eat something and then i will test the webm too.

Great work this feedback is very helpful.
One more thing i forgot about the controls, you can only configure/change them while using a bluetooth controller. You can‘t change then while using the touch controls.

Now i‘m gonna test some more stuff like webm and i will update you with the results.
If you also have anything specific in mind for me to test, just let me know.

Just game saves and them last 2 buttons
Game saves and configurations are working normally. About the last 2 buttons i wi just test right now and i will update you.

Update: @msmalik681 I just tested also the Attack4 and Special buttons and they are correct too. So all buttons are working and only these are mapped incorrectly by default:
Jump is Attack1
Attack3 is Jump
Attack1 is Attack3

Last edited:
Also webm and ogg audio
Both ogg and BOR audio are working normally. My game in the video is using ogg but i also tested my older game with BOR. Now i'm trying to find something with webm to test. I will update you on that too shortly.

And how does this version compare to the chinese openbor you downloaded from the app store.

And how does this version compare to the chinese openbor you downloaded from the app store.
Okay, webm is also working normally, i tested it with the Legend of the DD which is full of webm.

Well this chinese openbor was actually a guy who used this very same version that @harakari originally posted on this thead. He was the very same and only guy asking him questions about the toch controls and the AppStore on his github. I know that because for a while he was using the same name on AppStore too.
Anyway, all this guy did was to pack my WH game with it, remove the unneeded touch buttons and also remove the options from the OpenBOR menu too. He also made the OpenBOR folders on the files app to be "read only" so you can't just add/ change another pak in the engine. And so he was selling it as standalone game for 1usd. (I'm saying "was" because now apple seem to have removed it, probably because snk released a WH game lately and he was also just calling it WH)

One thing he did good was the directional and all buttons actually are very fluid, but the bad thing is he did not add controller support.
Here is a small video where i show the diferences of both. Also if you notice, when i try to just move around in cyrcle with your version, Billy kinda getting stuck in one diagonal direction and the game is stuttering a bit while this is happening. So the dpad buttons seem to be kind of buggy:

Last edited:
@msmalik681 I now also found out that actually the iOS engine does pronduce the OpenBorLog.txt but only when there is a game-crash and not just everytime you play. But the weird thing is that the log looks very different than usual and with very little and not so helpful information on it.
Like this:

Anyway, don't let yourself get overwhelmed with all this. This is all just information. Just take your time to iron the basics with this port or what ever you have in mind.

Right now i am trying to alter the file layout so it can be added to the openbor source code. Then I would like to try to make a 32 bit port then this could work on older devices like the iphone 3gs and ipad 2.

Finally to have a better idea of the port's stability and performance, i tried to really play some games with a lot of features and scripts to the end. So i picked an older game and a new one., like Golden Axe Myth and Streets of Rage 2X.
The result was that GAM of course seem to have some small issues and it also crashed near the end, while the Streets of Rage 2X which is a more newer-made game was absolutely playable up to the end with zero issues and all its features are working normally.

So my conclusion with this port, is that besides the trivial stuff like touch controls, it is very stable and everything is working fine as expected. @Kratus Did not just created only a very very very well made game, he created a game that is a benchmark too! Seriously, by playing this feature-packed game i felt like i tested almost every feature of the Engine! So, since this game and its features worked perfectly, i can safely say that this port is great!

Anyway, here are the test playthroughs of the GAM and Streets of Rage 2X. I know they are long videos but they are not meant to be watched whole, they are to give you an idea about my conclusion for the port:

So my conclusion with this port, is that besides the trivial stuff like touch controls, it is very stable and everything is working fine as expected. @Kratus Did not just created only a very very very well made game, he created a game that is a benchmark too! Seriously, by playing this feature-packed game i felt like i tested almost every feature of the Engine! So, since this game and its features worked perfectly, i can safely say that this port is great!
Thank you @magggas , it's an honor to receive positive feedback especially from an OpenBOR veteran like you :)

@ So I finally reworked the folder system to work with our source code it was a lot harder then I thought it would be and I hope I did not break anything along the way so please test this IPA it should be exactly the same as the previous one this is just to confirm nothing is broken.

also can you test this 32bit version

Back
Top Bottom