• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Limit walking speed to min and max values

bWWd

hey, i want the walking speed go higher when i press down, and lower when i press up, but i cant figure it out, it works nicely with z values but with speed it doesnt work, maybe im doing it wrong, heres what i have using z , when i change it to speed and give min 22 and max 55 then it just doesnt work :
How do you guys limit the speed and put a clamp on it ?

In this script when character is at Z 800 then his speed is not accelerating anymore, when hes at z 600 then speed is not decelerating , now i just want to make it work by using walking speed values so its consistent.

Code:
            @script
         void self = getlocalvar("self");
        int pindex     = getentityproperty(self,"playerindex");
         float sp = getentityproperty(self,"speed");
         float z = getentityproperty(self,"z");
         void yVel = getlocalvar("yVel"+self);
         int minspeed = 22;
         int maxspeed = 55;
    void moveup     =  playerkeys(pindex, 0, "moveup");
    void movedown     =  playerkeys(pindex, 0, "movedown");
    void vspeed ;
     settextobj(1, 250 , 280 , 1, 1,getentityproperty(self,"speed")/100+"speed", openborvariant("elapsed_time")+2000);
     settextobj(2, 250 , 180 , 2, 2, z , openborvariant("elapsed_time")+2000);
           if ( !vspeed ){
         setlocalvar("vspeed",22*1000);
        }
      if   (getentityproperty(self,"speed") && z >= 600 && moveup ) {
        changeentityproperty(self, "speed", (getentityproperty(self,"speed"))- 0.05);
        }
         if   (getentityproperty(self,"speed")&& z <= 800 && movedown ) {
        changeentityproperty(self, "speed", (getentityproperty(self,"speed"))+ 0.05);
        }
    @end_script

when i change it to speed and give min 22 and max 55 then it just doesnt work :

Well, I can see defined speed limits but I don't see any script applying those limits :rolleyes:.

Let's clear up confusion here: do you want to modify existing script to apply those limits ? OR do you want to copy that script to create new one which apply those limits?

yes, i had :
int minspeed = 22
int maxspeed = 55

and i had :
if (getentityproperty(self,"speed") && z >= minspeed && moveup ) {
changeentityproperty(self, "speed", (getentityproperty(self,"speed"))- 0.05);

it doesnt work and doesnt limit the walkint speed to 22 , but the same script with Z offset limits works fine, thats strange for me.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this works.... I can only assume for now that your entity is not moving in z axis at all, otherwise it would be odd to see speed increases/decreases when moving up/down.
Let me confirm this: you can adjust this entity's speed by pressing up or down but it's not moving yet until left or right is pressed, right?

Ok this is for scaling player , when character is closer to screen he needs to move faster cause hes bigger, when hes far from screen , he needs to walk slower like hes actually farther from camera .
I have separate scaling script, i need another one for "scaling" walking speed but i need limits for it.

You know, if you already have sprite scaling script, why not declaring speed scaling script there also?

i did and it works but i want that speed limit for others tuff like accelerating with a car or slowly speeding up from walk to run and for this i have to figure out how to put a cap on speed x and z axes.

Ah so you have 2 factors which defines speed limit: scale ratio and acceleration.
That means you need to add speed limit in acceleration script + add scale ratio factor there.

Back
Top Bottom