I was going to updade my build until...

NED

Well-known member
I was using build 3769 the last stable build with my game system fully working.
By adding a special "pickup" feature with the great help of BB, we figured out I had to change my build to a newer one... This is not the problem here.

I updated the build by knowing some of my perfectly working moves will need extra coding script to work again. Really basic ones... (hop back, forward roll...) because of an imput priority or something like that involving the Special/block button. I don't really know, I have zero experience in coding languages.

BB is helping me to make these regular moves working again, by using extra script to load in game memory.

On my side, I tried to check for every little possible bug in the new build, to be sure I can definitly switch to new build. (Will make things really easier for future persons who will play the game). No major problem.
Until I tried a "debug mode" I created to test obstacles physics and interaction.

Result, I go through obstacles in Z axis.
wb1iLTZ.png


Seriously, what's wrong with the new builds... I'm just asking.
I can't understand why basic things like that cannot work from a build to another.

I'm on a rush, but I'll continue my searching to be sure I have not make mistakes in my actual code.

These obstacles contain wall/platform code.

Thanks
 
The extra script, what did BB do with them for handling this (better if it's shared in PM as well as your debug script, probably it can be fixed for the later builds as well). Meanwhile, I'm going to check revision logs for builds. For now, you should better do the mod in the latest builds than getting stuck to older ones, the newer ones are what you're going to probably bundle with the game anyway.

Edit: Majority of the features and fixes are in the latest builds, no doubt about that. It's better if you revise the debug mode you have as well as some of the scripts that might get broken.
 
OK.

As an info I'll post my boxes obstacle code.
Code:
name	Box
type    obstacle
cantgrab 1
shadow  0
gfxshadow  1
health  50#14
diesound  data/sounds/wood2.wav
nolife  1
#flash   obfla
noatflash 1
offscreenkill  2000
candamage  obstacle npc enemy#player(ses debris ne touchent pas un player)
#flip 1


anim idle
	loop	0
	delay	5
	offset	43 94
	bbox    4 4 77 94
      platform   -5 94 0 0 106 106 12 83
#      platform   -10 94 0 0 102 102 12 82
##      platform   0 94 0 0 82 82 15 83
	frame	data/chars/misc/box1.gif

anim fall
	loop	0
	delay	8#7#5
	offset	43 94
	hitfx   data/sounds/indirectobsta.wav#indirect.wav
	attack	4 4 77 94 5 1 1 0 6 30#10#30#20#(ses debris touchent)
	frame	data/chars/misc/box2.gif
	frame	data/chars/misc/box3.gif

They're displayed this way on the level:
Code:
spawn	box
coords	670 315 0#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	687 323 0#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	704 331 0#x z a
at	0

spawn	box
coords	670 315 85#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	687 323 85#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	704 331 85#x z a
at	0

spawn	box
coords	670 315 170#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	687 323 170#x z a
at	0

spawn	box
coords	670 315 200#x z a
at	0


spawn	box
coords	605 315 0#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	622 323 0#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	639 331 0#x z a
at	0


spawn	box
coords	605 315 85#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	622 323 85#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	639 331 85#x z a
at	0


spawn	box
coords	540 315 0#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	557 323 0#x z a
at	0
spawn	box
coords	574 331 0#x z a
at	0
 
platform  -5 94 0 0 106 106 12 83

Looking at the platform syntax:

Code:
platform {xpos} {zpos} {upperleft} {lowerleft} {upperright} {lowerright} {depth} {alt}

Your lower left is just 0 so you don't have a rectangle, instead you made a line. See this diagram (especially the rectangle):

http://dcemulation.org/images/3/34/Wall_tutorial.png

For more info, see the syntax in the DCEmulation wiki, which is more updated, picture is courtesy of DCEmulation in fact (explaining the wall attributes).
 
For more info, see the syntax in the DCEmulation wiki, which is more updated, picture is courtesy of DCEmulation in fact
In fact, courtesy of Maxman. I've added that picture at the manual.
(I refer the DCEmulation as Manual, and the other as Wiki).
 
O Ilusionista said:

Was about to say that and beat me to it.

CRxTRDude said:
Your lower left is just 0 so you don't have a rectangle, instead you made a line.

At the same time, my mistake, you were making a triangle, not a line, which is of course not your intention.
 
Now that I think about it, was there something in the script for your debug mode that might be disabling collision through platforms and walls like an anti-wall script?
 
Wow! the new tutorial picture seems really good and detailed.
I'll take the time to look it in detail ASAP. Have to go back to work now.

So my platform/wall code might be wrong for all my obstacles since I used this one as a base for all obstacles.

Thanks for the help.
I'll keep you informed of what it become.
 
O, I just tested the wall now. Even though the wall stays between outside and inside of z panel in half, for example, it should be okay. Last year/Before, I tested the wall with one of the builds placed in half between inside and outside of z and I couldn't jump on it. One of the builds I used was a malfunction for walls. That's why I said it shouldn't be outside from z. (Now that it works with a different version I use, it should work okay.) As long as it stays on z, then it's good. The wall can be away from and stay outside of z, but it's unnecessary to place it there.
 
BTW, unless you have some visual editor like OpenBORStats, which delivers it nicely by showing you the platform and wall on top of the sprite, making platforms and walls are a bit hard at times.  :)

Speaking of which, I've suddenly realize that using platform for destructible obstacles is a nice idea, 'nuff said.
 
Back
Top Bottom