Demo: XuanYuan Sword

  • Thread starter Thread starter doranikofu
  • Start date Start date
D

doranikofu

Guest
Hi! This game demo is dedicated for the PC game series XuanYuanSword for its 25th anniversary. There is one full level, one player only.
The game used some resources/referenced some scripts from the following OPENBOR games:
NightSlashers, Dragons of Rage EX, Rocket Viper, Golden Axe - Curse of  Death Adder
The other sprites/sounds/music are mostly from XuanYuanSword games.
Special thanks to Damon Caskey for the help when I was making this demo. And I want to thank other people at ChronoCrash forum who helped me getting started on this as well.

I don't think I will be doing a full project (at least not feasible for me as I can see in the near future at least) There are some stuff I wanted to do but did not get it done in this version. Maybe I will play with the script a little bit more but it will mostly be what it is right now.

My apologize to have a lot of non-English characters in the game. I made this mostly for a campaign under the 25 anniversary of the game series. So a lot of contents under that context. But I tried to have both English and Chinese in how-to-play section so it won't affect the gameplay :)

And again, I'm lazy to make a new poster all in English but just want to post it here so you could see the screenshots at the bottom

download (10MB)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cy36sigl16as1ci/SWD_OpenBOR_PC_en.zip

[attachment deleted by admin]
 
Is it just me or the pace is just slow? The character sprite's sword slashing can still be more smoother and faster than the state I'm seeing now. I see this also in other characters as well, the zombie's do look good but when they walk, it seems that the animation speed don't match the walk.

Love the zombie spawning. Love the main character's sprites. The setting's atmosphere and mood is spot on good.

The UI font's nice, where did you get that from?

This demo can still improve on, again, the speed department, but disregarding that, it's a nice game to play.

Edit: I researched the game and apparently it's a Chinese RPG am I right? Saw the screens, but I don't see any video footage of gameplay, if you can link for gameplay footage, it might help you with the speed that you're looking for.

Double edit: did not read the main OP correctly (sorry bout that) but I can say, it's a very nice tribute to the franchise, the character converted nicely to the beat em up genre, but like i said (even you said it) it could be worked better.  ;)
 
only the boss and player are from the Chinese RPG, the zombie and knights are from NightSlashers. I like that spawning animation too, used the range based move script to do spawning for the knights
fonts are from final fight heros, some color adjustment (forgot to mention it)

It was a year 1999 RPG so there sprites are not as smooth as arcade games. The player did not even have walking animation so I did a lot of PS to make up those missing parts lol
especially for enemy, the only action for the sprites are idle/attack
you can get the full walkthrough for the RPG here
Classic Chinese RPG-軒轅劍參 Complete Playthrough Part 00
 
I see. I did found this link as I researched deeper. The game's nice stuff, a cross of Final Fantasy with Chinese mythology.

I'm not that surprised though that you need to work more for the game's sprites since the game's like FF, they're just static characters which move during actions, but I admired that you did the effort anyway and in a more savvy way as well, which pays off in the end.

For the smoothness, you can try to use 8 as the delay for the attack and movement animations. When I tried this, they look responsive more than they would be.

These are suggestions though, I'm sure you'll have a great time modding with OpenBOR.
 
For the smoothness, you can try to use 8 as the delay for the attack and movement animations.
Depends which type of attack we are talking about. I often use 6, 4 or even 3 in very fast attacks, but I put the last frames as 10 or 12, to make a big recovery time.
 
cool thx for the comments, I will try changing the delay time when I continue with this
 
you are welcome. We are here to help.
About the delay, its not a rule set in the stone. Depends too much on how much frames you have for one animation.
The more frames, the smaller the delay should be, in fact. Or all the move looks too slow.

I tried your game, I found everything too slow (velocities, animation speed, etc).
But its a nice start. Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom