• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.
Classic Fantasy (ClaFan) Advanced

Canceled ClaFan Advanced Alpha

No permission to download
Project is halted prior to completion and will not receive further updates.

NickyP

For more information about ClaFan Advanced, please visit this thread here.

Recommended Settings:
  • OpenBOR version: 3.0 rev 3994 or above.
    (Executables for 3994 should be included with the game, but may not be depending on who reuploaded it)
  • In Options->Sound Settings, set Music to 200.

Enclosed in the .rar is ClaFan Advanced's .pak, a thorough instruction manual, and a Windows/PC version of OpenBOR with default settings pre-configured.

Now I don't want you guys to get too excited just yet. This isn't an ordinary demo.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, I've had some significant developments in my life lately. To put it bluntly, I don't know for how long I can fiddle with OpenBOR anymore. If I could, I'd make mods 'til the day I die. But I'm not sure if I'll have that luxury.

So, I'm giving you this "demo" of ClaFan Advanced. It's more of an alpha build, really. It's very much a work in progress, and there's a lot of things that are not even close to being finished. For example, there's only one quest in the game, and it simply ends after you camp. One area is completely empty with no NPCs. Treasure boxes have no treasure in them. Etc.

But don't think there's nothing to do in this demo. There is plenty for you to explore and do, at least for about an hour. If you've played the original ClaFan, you'd know that in that game there was little to do outside of the quests. But in ClaFan Advanced, exploration itself is a major focus. I hope that when you play this demo, that theme will be conveyed to you.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing about Dropbox, since a lot of people do it...

Anyway thanks for sharing! I'll give it a try!

Downloaded the day you posted this topic. I did enjoy exploring other places. The music is very fitting with the stages especially the one in the first stage where you started.

Alright. Right now I'm just gonna give you a few what needs to be done.

- I notice in the select screen that Fender has a little brighter blue bubble box than the rest of the characters'.

- The running for going up/down needs for your characters to run up along for fast pace. But I think it may need some script for holding up or down while jumping. Maybe with velocity I think?

{move} is a binary value.

0 - can't run up/down
1 - can run up and down diagonally
2 - can start running by inputing uu or dd
4 - can turn 90 degrees while running (like in some capcom games)
3 = 1 + 2
7 = 1 + 2 + 4

I like your work, man. I'm looking forward to see more stages coming up for exploration. :)

Thanks, maxman.  :)

maxman said:
- I notice in the select screen that Fender has a little brighter blue bubble box than the rest of the characters'.
Huh. I'll have to look into that when I have a minute.

maxman said:
- The running for going up/down needs for your characters to run up along for fast pace. But I think it may need some script for holding up or down while jumping. Maybe with velocity I think?

{move} is a binary value.

0 - can't run up/down
1 - can run up and down diagonally
2 - can start running by inputing uu or dd
4 - can turn 90 degrees while running (like in some capcom games)
3 = 1 + 2
7 = 1 + 2 + 4

What the... where did this come from? It's not in the manual at DCEmulation. I wish I knew about that 7 earlier. Oh well. In later versions, expect to be able to run by pressing uu or dd now. May want to update the information under running in the OpenBOR manual, as well. I read that thing like a bible and I've never seen those parameters before; nor are they there right now.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  :D

utunnels made an engine update for including the running back in Lavalit. Also, I looked to it in openborstats if you type/highlight running in the character header. LOL You look at the glossary on your right below.

So at some point you might have said to yourself, "how can NickyP constantly cry about his career stopping him from modding, when he still releases games to this day?" The answer, my friend, is simple: because I'm down, but not out. Old habits die hard, you know.

And few habits of mine are older than working on something ClaFan related. Which is why I've come to show you a screenshot or two!

Do you remember the Amazon from the original ClaFan? Well, I brought her back.

Tvi5zRP.png

4Zbfzbh.png

In full-color, 16-bit glory! She hits a lot harder in this game than she did before. And she now has two new mid-combo Chain attacks. One is a lunging slash that's great for chasing after enemies you knocked back, and the other is a giant uppercut slash that sends enemies to the moon.

dnV9mCo.png

To the moon!

If her new moves weren't exciting enough, she now also has super-armor whenever she attacks. So she will not transition to the pain animation if she takes damage while winding up her strikes. Handy, but dangerous--because enemies can use that opening to pound you first!

For now, her color palette is the one from her sprite's source game, Romancing SaGa 1. If you'd like, I can change her colors to the brown-leather thing she had going for her in the old ClaFan.

I'm also finally working on some subquests, but I don't have any screenshots of that yet. Still setting up level graphics and what-have-you.

Don Vecta said:
Heh, now this is a mod I definitely want to play. Glad ain't dead. :)

I'm glad you feel that way, Don, because I have more to share!

Introducing a new character: the Cowboy!

DBE6F5j.png

4aHZpiq.png

q5iB6XW.png

The Cowboy is an evolved version of the Archer from the original ClaFan. In the original game, the Archer could fight from a distance with the Attack button, and pull off a melee combo with the Chain button. The Cowboy is similar, but with a few key differences.

For starters, you no longer have to mash the Attack button to shoot--because the Cowboy can rapid fire as long as you hold the button down! Additionally, the Cowboy can walk and run while shooting, so you can reposition yourself accordingly with the flow of battle. In the original, the Archer could only stand still while shooting. However, just because you can rapid fire by holding down Attack, it doesn't mean it's the best option. You can fire more shots quicker if you manually tap the Attack button in rapid succession. Using a little elbow grease will definitely increase your damage output, but shooting the lazy way is also handy too.

And speaking of damage, that's the next key difference. In ClaFan, the Archer's arrows were locked in at a measly 7 damage, with fire arrows dealing more. Here, the Cowboy's gunshots will do variable damage depending on your positioning from the enemy. The possible damage outputs are 12, 15, and 18; so if you find yourself doing only 12 damage, you may want to take advantage of the fact you can shoot and move to reposition yourself.

Finally, the Archer could only pull off a three hit combo with the Chain button. Here, the Cowboy has a full five hit combo. Additionally, the Archer could perform infinite aerial combos with Chain; however, here, the Cowboy's aerial Chain is just a spinning attack that does greater damage.

Whether your style is on the move or in-your-face, the Cowboy is an excellent choice for players who like to multitask on the battlefield. Coming soon, to an OpenBOR near you.  ;)

Yee-hahh-hahahah LOL Man, the cowboy is going to be fun to play with. He can shoot while running and walking like Contra? Not bad. I like how he can do with his far and close range. The cowboy info reminded me of Dante's attack moves, like, you press gun button to shoot and sword to slash.

I'm glad both of you enjoy the concept! Whenever I test something in this mod, I find myself playing as the Cowboy often. He's a dynamic character in gameplay, sure, but he also looks so cool.

Bloodbane said:
Makes me wonder how many classes you are going to have in this mod :)

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of adding at least three more. But now that I've gotten those two out of the way, I'd like to go back to adding more quests and areas to explore.

An action J-RPG 16-bit styled, with top view, made in OpenBOR Engine!?? Is this possible? :eek:
So fuck awesome! A nice and new idea to me!

You'll make this a side-scroller, top down or both?

nsw25 said:
looking forward to this mod, you seem to have all the really cool classes. but heres some suggestions

vampire: health items don't work for him and only way to regenerate is to bite or kill enemies

General/king: a strategist with no real attacks of his own but can summon soldiers to defend and soldiers to attack (but these drain mana)
BeasTie said:
cool ideas, other type summoners would be fun too, like maybe a beastmaster or warlock type thing.

I actually really like the idea for a Vampire. I was thinking of something similar: where every attack missed drains HP, and every attack landed heals HP. Your idea is probably more practical, nsw.

As for a summoner/beastmaster type character, my idea was for the "Nekomancer." "Neko" meaning "cat" in Japanese. It's a cat summoner: it's part joke character and part OP. Summon different elemental cats. Thunder kitty, fire kitty, ice kitty, you name it.

Aeyhi said:
An action J-RPG 16-bit styled, with top view, made in OpenBOR Engine!?? Is this possible? :eek:
So fuck awesome! A nice and new idea to me!

You'll make this a side-scroller, top down or both?
I assure you, friend, this is anything but an old idea. Have you heard of my previous game, the original ClaFan? You can download it here.

As for the gameplay of ClaFan Advanced... well, you can download it and see it yourself in the first post of this thread!  ;D

NickyP said:
Miru said:
Can I suggest a new class?

Sure!

The Mithrarin. He has a little flying sidekick character who shoots weak projectiles at enemies. His special move can amplify those projectiles as well as those of his allies.  He can also double jump and then dive down on foes.

Miru said:
The Mithrarin. He has a little flying sidekick character who shoots weak projectiles at enemies. His special move can amplify those projectiles as well as those of his allies.  He can also double jump and then dive down on foes.

Interesting idea. Am I correct in assuming this is based off of Dust: An Elysian Tale? Do you have any Final Fantasy-styled sprites of a character that resembles the one in Dust? I've already begun working on at least one non-human playable character (I'll show her off when she's ready!), so I don't mind the idea of including a second one if it's interesting enough.

While I'm here, I want to talk about an update to the game. Previously in this and the original ClaFan, the main Adventure Mode was available from the start. This is no longer the case. Now, you must unlock Adventure Mode by first completing a new mode: The Prologue.

6Ri4IrU.gif

The Prologue is a short story that introduces your character to the world of ClaFan Advanced. It begins with you riding a ferry to Rookheim, the starting town in Adventure Mode. While on the ship, you make an acquaintance, and then adventure ensues. Once you complete The Prologue, you're free to explore the world in Adventure Mode like you would have before.

Part of the reason I added The Prologue is to give you guys a more immersive experience--so you felt like you were part of the world, even if the goal of the game is to let you form your own story through exploration. Additionally, I made it to introduce players to the new quest system that I alluded to in the old thread about this game. I promised that quests would be more involved than the ones featured in the original ClaFan, and I'm holding myself to that promise.

nsw25 said:
looking forward to this mod, you seem to have all the really cool classes. but heres some suggestions

vampire: health items don't work for him and only way to regenerate is to bite or kill enemies

I don't recall health items in this mod unless you're referring to healing ability which is technically healing spell
Anyways, my suggestion of vampire is that he/she has no MP and all special attacks cost HP. But his/her regular attacks steals HP

NickyP said:
As for a summoner/beastmaster type character, my idea was for the "Nekomancer." "Neko" meaning "cat" in Japanese. It's a cat summoner: it's part joke character and part OP. Summon different elemental cats. Thunder kitty, fire kitty, ice kitty, you name it.

If you plan on creating summoner, don't limit yourself with just one summon. I can share you scripts which allow a character to summon multiple helpers at once
FYI Strongheart, one of protagonists in D&D : Rise of Warduke, can summon 3 of his friends at once (after they join you that is)

Back
Top Bottom