Character Select Screen

Miru

Well-known member
Is it possible to make a fighting-game style character select screen, with the ability to scroll up and down as opposed to just left and right? This would be very useful for mods with large character rosters, like Marvel First Alliance 2 and Sega Brawlers Megamix, to make it quicker to find the character you want to use. Palettes could be changed with the button depending on which button selects the character.
 
I guess you can do it with a custom level filled with scripts.

That is you force the game to start with a dummy entity, and enter the custom select screen level with that entity. Then depending on the input, you replace the dummy entity with the chosen character.
 
The only mod I know that has that is Rocket Viper 2, but version 3.01. Versions lower than the one I mentioned don't have that. And yes, there's one that you can press a jump button to toggle to different palettes instead of pressing up/down. The character select screen you're talking about is not made with a regular select screen, but in stage/level. To me, Piccolo is (right) on the money in pointing out that it's doable with custom level using script.
 
Piccolo said:
I guess you can do it with a custom level filled with scripts.

That is you force the game to start with a dummy entity, and enter the custom select screen level with that entity. Then depending on the input, you replace the dummy entity with the chosen character.

Kind of like Sonic Revolution's stage select screen? Yeah, that would work wonders! I could make it a free-flowing select screen like SSB as opposed to a simpler one like a typical fighting game. And with OpenBOR's scrolling feature, I could make rosters even bigger and at the same time more convenient than MUGEN's, especially with dividing a select screen into multiple levels if it gets too large!
 
Posting this as a total n00b when it comes to scripting:

How does one create such a thing? (I don't know the language, so some guidance would be useful.)
 
Back
Top Bottom