• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.
Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.

Demo Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R. 2024-04-05

No permission to download
The item is a beta or preview.
Check out this playable demo of a once lost @Pierwolf project utilizing Dungeon Fighter Online resources!

Controls​

FIGHTER​

Nen Shot: down, forward + light attack (available at level 1)
High Kick: down, forward + strong attack (available at level 1)
Seismic Kick: forward, up + light attack (available at level 5)
Lion's Roar: down, up + light attack (available at level 5)

SLAYER​

Wave Sword: down, forward + light attack (available at level 1)
Upward Slash: down, up + light attack (available at level 1)
Gore Slash: down, forward + strong attack (available at level 5)
Mountainous Wheel: forward, down + strong attack (available at level 5)

FOR THE OTHER CONTROLS, SEE THE "HOW TO PLAY" IN THE GAME

Title: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 11, 2012, 05:22:15 pm (http://i46.tinypic.com/2h7dl44.gif)

Hi everybody!

i think it's time to show you the demo of my new project codenamed "arena". after learning how to rip complete spritesheets from dungeon fighter online, i've decided to convert it in:

DUNGEON FIGHTER: B.O.R. EDITION

You can find it here:
DOWNLOAD LINK (http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=289)

What is in this demo:
- 2 playable characters (the fighter and the slayer)
- adventure mode: play the first act of the Campaign
- dojo mode: make practice with a dummy goblin

FIGHTER movelist
Nen Shot: down, forward + light attack (aviable at level 1)
High Kick: down, forward + strong attack (aviable at level 1)
Seismic Kick: forward, up + light attack (aviable at level 5)
Lion's Roar: down, up + light attack (aviable at level 5)

SLAYER movelist
Wave Sword: down, forward + light attack (aviable at level 1)
Upward Slash: down, up + light attack (aviable at level 1)
Gore Slash: down, forward + strong attack (aviable at level 5)
Mountainous Wheel: forward, down + strong attack (aviable at level 5)

IMPORTANT: FOR THE OTHER CONTROLS, SEE THE "HOW TO PLAY" IN THE GAME

download and let me know what you think!

enjoy Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: nedflandeurse on November 11, 2012, 06:01:27 pm Looks awesome!!
I'll try it ASAP! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: NickyP on November 11, 2012, 06:27:16 pm :cheers!: Awesome! I'm downloading it now, can't wait to play it on my PSP!!!

Which Priest do you plan on using? The old style with the long hair, or the one with the short haircut? (http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9545/oldnewpriests.jpg) If I may request, I prefer the newer one :blushing:....

Like I said in the Arena, I think we should all contribute to this and make it amazing! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 11, 2012, 06:37:08 pm
Quote from: NickyP on November 11, 2012, 06:27:16 pm
:cheers!: Awesome! I'm downloading it now, can't wait to play it on my PSP!!!

Which Priest do you plan on using? The old style with the long hair, or the one with the short haircut? (http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9545/oldnewpriests.jpg) If I may request, I prefer the newer one :blushing:....

Like I said in the Arena, I think we should all contribute to this and make it amazing!

thanks Nick, and no offense, but i prefer to work alone on my games.
other times i've tried to collaborate with other great members of lavalit, but some way or the other, it simply doesn't worked... it's probably my fault, but that's the way i do it.
hope you enjoy the game anyway!
Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on November 11, 2012, 06:56:39 pm Looks pretty awesome! Thanks for this one, Pierwolf! :cheers!: Just downloaded this and I will try it out. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: rafhot on November 11, 2012, 08:28:05 pm it is my kind of game, very cool and with lots of moves

the only minor lfaw game play related that i had is about the area clear msg and im unable to grab my loot that i left behind

i think would be cool if instead the area clear finish the stage one exit apears or one of the items in the area must be picked to finish the stage

if the loot was only score points i think there is no problem to left some behind, but when it is our XP, we get sad when we left some behind.

the gameplay and his concept is amazing
congratulations Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: magggas on November 11, 2012, 09:43:36 pm Everything is very well made and i like very much the game design and concept.The only flaw for my taste is the gameplay is like slow motion.Walk/run for me is too slow.And the player gets to long stun by every simple hit.
Maybe is only me but such spends+pain delays i have see only on OpenBOR games :p

Anyways,keep it up man :cheers!:

Post by: nedflandeurse on November 12, 2012, 02:38:46 am Amazing!
The atmosphere of this game is very good...
I like the map system and the talking with NPC.
But, it's true the gamplay can be a little fast and dynamic! :oops:

Also. It's some kind of great system you're creating here. It's a shame to see the infinite possibilities of DFO limited to 4 characters.
So, I really hope your mod can become a standard/base for other moders to create a lot of alternative stories with 8 or 10 different characters, more enemies.
Keep up the good work :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Nozomi on November 12, 2012, 06:52:34 am Is this project instead of this project?
http://lavalit.com:8080/index.php/topic,7070.msg97249.html#msg97249 Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Die_In_Fire on November 12, 2012, 07:05:41 am I just played 1 stage so far (busy busy) but I really liked!! The presentation, as your signature, very professional!

I had a problem, when two goblins hit me, one in front and one behind player, they just hit me until the player dies, and pressing buttons, specially the block button, is not effective at all, they just keep taking your health Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: NickyP on November 12, 2012, 10:00:01 am It BSOD'd on my PSP :( So I had to play it on my PC..

But, wow. It was A-MAAAZING! It felt like DFO and everything! Congratulations big time on this mod, Pierwolf! :cheers!: I really can't wait for more! This is only a demo and it's already starting to put Dungeon Fighter Live to shame!

Quote from: Pierwolf on November 11, 2012, 06:37:08 pm

No problems. :) I understand. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: DJGameFreakTheIguana on November 12, 2012, 01:31:04 pm Just played this, and it's pretty well made. The Goblins can be pretty cheap with their attacks, plus having a bbox set for the fall animation doesn't help. I fixed that myself in Sega Brawlers by going through every character and setting a Dropv for every attack, usually "1 2" for normal or weak attacks, but left it alone for the last attack in the combo, or changed it for certain combos or magic attacks, like Ray's & Ginjiriou's Special attack here from Advance Guardian Heroes. The attack uses 2 txt files actually, the first summons the attack which will die:
Code: [Select]
anim idle
loop 0
delay 4
offset 118 369
bbox 0
fastattack 1
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-0.gif
offset 118 373
attack1 139 330 74 41 1 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-1.gif
offset 118 365
attack1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-2.gif
attack1 142 327 115 35 1 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-3.gif
attack1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-4.gif
attack1 142 329 157 35 1 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-5.gif
attack1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-6.gif
attack1 141 330 210 31 1 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-7.gif
attack1 0
offset 118 363
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-8.gif
attack1 142 332 259 32 1 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
offset 118 366
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-9.gif
attack1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-10.gif
attack1 141 333 298 34 1 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
offset 118 368
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-11.gif
attack1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-12.gif
attack1 142 335 344 29 2 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-13.gif
attack1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-14.gif
attack1 141 336 383 31 2 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
offset 118 372
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-15.gif
attack1 0
offset 118 374
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-16.gif
attack1 142 336 394 35 2 0 0 0 0 30
Dropv 1 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-17.gif
attack1 0
@cmd shoot "RaySP1" 0 0 0
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-18.gif
@cmd killentity getlocalvar("self")
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-18.gif
Which at that point, the next attack is shot:
anim idle
loop 1
delay 4
offset 118 374
fastattack 1
blast 142 337 395 31 35 0 0 0 30
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-16.gif
frame data/chars/Ray2/SPFX-17.gif
This way, you save the juggling for certain attacks, and not just getting juggled all willy-nilly. Hope this helps, but hey, maybe you or someone else will come up with something better. ;)

At the very least, would I be able to extract your materials? I plan to add DFO stuff to another mod idea of mine. Originally a crossover with DFO and Guilty Gear, but I'll just add the idea to my mod, once I get to it.

x) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: lirexpatrio on November 12, 2012, 04:07:47 pm Exelent demo,i hope that the full version coming soon!! ;) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 12, 2012, 04:35:39 pm thanks to you all for the feedback, i will try to answer you now:

Quote from: rafhot on November 11, 2012, 08:28:05 pm

the only minor lfaw game play related that i had is about the area clear msg and im unable to grab my loot that i left behind

i think would be cool if instead the area clear finish the stage one exit apears or one of the items in the area must be picked to finish the stage

if the loot was only score points i think there is no problem to left some behind, but when it is our XP, we get sad when we left some behind.

i liked the area clear concept, and i think that this way add a little strategy; take everything before times up, but i will think about this.

Quote from: magggas on November 11, 2012, 09:43:36 pm
Everything is very well made and i like very much the game design and concept.The only flaw for my taste is the gameplay is like slow motion.Walk/run for me is too slow.And the player gets to long stun by every simple hit.
Maybe is only me but such spends+pain delays i have see only on OpenBOR games :p

Quote from: nedflandeurse on November 12, 2012, 02:38:46 am
Amazing!
The atmosphere of this game is very good...
I like the map system and the talking with NPC.
But, it's true the gamplay can be a little fast and dynamic! :oops:

keep in mind, guys, that i never played the original dungeon fighter online (here in italy we can't play it). i only played the "live" version on xbox360 (and i know it's more limited that the original game, but i like it anyway) so i don't know how the original game's dinamics are. anyway i will think about making the action more fast.

Quote from: Nozomi on November 12, 2012, 06:52:34 am

yes it is.

Quote from: Die_In_Fire on November 12, 2012, 07:05:41 am
I just played 1 stage so far (busy busy) but I really liked!! The presentation, as your signature, very professional!

I had a problem, when two goblins hit me, one in front and one behind player, they just hit me until the player dies, and pressing buttons, specially the block button, is not effective at all, they just keep taking your health

i wanted it this way, actually you can evade the attacks at the cost of some MP points (in the HOW TO PLAY you can find the commands), i think that this way the game is a little more technical that the standard beat'em up. even if maybe i should make the evade moves cost a little less MP, at least in the beginning.

Quote from: DJGameFreakTheIguana on November 12, 2012, 01:31:04 pm
Just played this, and it's pretty well made. The Goblins can be pretty cheap with their attacks, plus having a bbox set for the fall animation doesn't help.

same as up, it's something wanted. you can evade the attacks even in air.

thanks again everybody, and continue with your feedbacks!

bye
Post by: maxman on November 12, 2012, 05:50:56 pm I have a suggestion here. When you go to any individual there to talk in the beginning of the first scene, do you think you can make them talk again even though if anyone couldn't understand or get what they say? Any individual only talks once and that's it, and then you move on. Looking at the non-fighting scene reminds me of playing an any type of RPG game.

EDIT: There's one thing I found. I don't know if I'm going to say this right, but the enemies, the goblins, throw rocks and shoot arrows at the character while he's falling in air and yes, that's juggling. I did try to jump and kick to them though. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: utunnels on November 12, 2012, 07:24:47 pm Yeah, the dialogues are kinda hard to read for slow readers like me (bold + capital ).
Perhaps you can consider longer delay for the text entities and add a key script too kill them if someone doesn't want to press attack button repeatedly. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: darknior on November 12, 2012, 07:55:44 pm Woaw ... so cool to see this great new game come :D
Thanks a lot
Post by: bWWd on November 13, 2012, 03:27:51 pm Gameplay is great, to solve problems with block not working when someone attacks from behind you should add "blockback 1" to character header and blocking works from any direction so enemies can attack you from behind and you still can block it.
I agree about too slow delay and too small velocity when walking and running but its a small problem, fighting is dynamic like it should be. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 13, 2012, 04:16:09 pm
Quote from: maxman on November 12, 2012, 05:50:56 pm
I have a suggestion here. When you go to any individual there to talk in the beginning of the first scene, do you think you can make them talk again even though if anyone couldn't understand or get what they say? Any individual only talks once and that's it, and then you move on. Looking at the non-fighting scene reminds me of playing an any type of RPG game.

if you can help me with some idea with this, i will gladly implement it.

EDIT: There's one thing I found. I don't know if I'm going to say this right, but the enemies, the goblins, throw rocks and shoot arrows at the character while he's falling in air and yes, that's juggling. I did try to jump and kick to them though.

actually if you have some MP left, you can press TAUNT button while you're falling, and you will cancel with a release attack.

Quote from: bWWd on November 13, 2012, 03:27:51 pm
Gameplay is great, to solve problems with block not working when someone attacks from behind you should add "blockback 1" to character header and blocking works from any direction so enemies can attack you from behind and you still can block it.
I agree about too slow delay and too small velocity when walking and running but its a small problem, fighting is dynamic like it should be.

thanks for the blockback suggestion bwwd, i didn't know this command existed, time to upgrade my openbor manual i suppose!

anyway, has someone of you found the secret quest? ;) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: zamuel on November 13, 2012, 07:18:05 pm Overall it's very fun and maintains the visual consistency of your mods. I liked the feeling of progression and the fact that even though this was "just" a demo, you still had the hidden ambush area. Have a number of pieces of constructive criticism for the game from my playthrough.

-Having the Dojo is a good idea but I would handle the training dummy differently. Rather than one guy with a lot of health, have an invisible entity that summons a singular enemy with only slightly above average health. This gives you a better idea of how much damage you're doing to enemies so you can work out which combos are best. This also prevents you from accidentally "beating" your practice mode due to killing the enemy since the invisible summoner is always there. You may also want to add a respawning healing item and/or a way to level up in the Dojo so you can practice moves that require a higher level.

-I really dislike having a ton of stuff in the foreground. It's technically a problem I have with a number of mods but I tend to not actively complain about it. The main issue comes from screen space and visibility.

-As far as lockdowns and juggling, one way to solve it would be alter spawn placement. As is, you tend to get surrounded by default with each new spawn. Altering enemy placement would make positioning and blocking more useful on their own without having to burn meter with an Evade. Projectiles are the bigger issue here and perhaps adding a juggle limit system or even adjusting the attacking range would help. This would seem to be a better option than allowing guard to affect both directions.

-If possible, you may want to have the town cursor start on the lower right instead of the lower left. The town in the lower right has the easiest quest while the town in the upper left has the most difficult non-final/hidden quest. If moving the cursor's start position is not possible, you might want to simply move the towns.

-You might want to add a 500 XP bag of gold so that when you collect earnings you don't have to click quite so many. On the topic of money, it's a nitpick but it it looks like the 50 XP bag is larger than the 100 XP bag.

-I agree with the concept of making the player choose between prioritizing enemy kills or loot collection. However, I would suggest that boss death animations have slightly more delay. This would help since the regular enemies don't die as soon as the boss does like other mods.

-I agree with many people's comments about speed and there's a number of ways to handle it. A subtle global increase to player speed, slightly increase the speed of certain characters, or perhaps you could tie in speed increases and reduced recovery time to leveling up. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: utunnels on November 13, 2012, 07:42:06 pm Yeah, the second guy's walk speed is a way too slow. Not just it affects gameplay, an extremely slow walker sometimes looks weird. Because openbor only gives 1/2 of your full speed in z direction, it looks like your character is struggling. A slow charcter doesn't need to be slow in anyway IMO. He's a hero after all. If he is slowed down dramatically by his own weapon, how does he manage to swing it? ;D

Post by: Pierwolf on November 14, 2012, 05:21:46 pm
Quote from: zamuel on November 13, 2012, 07:18:05 pm
Overall it's very fun and maintains the visual consistency of your mods. I liked the feeling of progression and the fact that even though this was "just" a demo, you still had the hidden ambush area. Have a number of pieces of constructive criticism for the game from my playthrough.

-Having the Dojo is a good idea but I would handle the training dummy differently. Rather than one guy with a lot of health, have an invisible entity that summons a singular enemy with only slightly above average health. This gives you a better idea of how much damage you're doing to enemies so you can work out which combos are best. This also prevents you from accidentally "beating" your practice mode due to killing the enemy since the invisible summoner is always there. You may also want to add a respawning healing item and/or a way to level up in the Dojo so you can practice moves that require a higher level.

yes i've in mind something like this, i will change the dojo mode completely in the final release.

-I really dislike having a ton of stuff in the foreground. It's technically a problem I have with a number of mods but I tend to not actively complain about it. The main issue comes from screen space and visibility.

well, this is a wiewpoint. i mean it's a forest, it's difficult to move inside it, don't you think? :)

-If possible, you may want to have the town cursor start on the lower right instead of the lower left. The town in the lower right has the easiest quest while the town in the upper left has the most difficult non-final/hidden quest. If moving the cursor's start position is not possible, you might want to simply move the towns.

well but you'are not forced to go immediately in battle after you accept the quest; you can first open all the 3 quests, and then decide wich battle face first.

-You might want to add a 500 XP bag of gold so that when you collect earnings you don't have to click quite so many. On the topic of money, it's a nitpick but it it looks like the 50 XP bag is larger than the 100 XP bag.

i've done this way because if there are 2 players, they can divide the reward bethween them. and other than this, it's more cool for me to see a lot of bags of money to grab :)

-I agree with the concept of making the player choose between prioritizing enemy kills or loot collection. However, I would suggest that boss death animations have slightly more delay. This would help since the regular enemies don't die as soon as the boss does like other mods.

-I agree with many people's comments about speed and there's a number of ways to handle it. A subtle global increase to player speed, slightly increase the speed of certain characters, or perhaps you could tie in speed increases and reduced recovery time to leveling up.

Quote from: utunnels on November 13, 2012, 07:42:06 pm
Yeah, the second guy's walk speed is a way too slow. Not just it affects gameplay, an extremely slow walker sometimes looks weird. Because openbor only gives 1/2 of your full speed in z direction, it looks like your character is struggling. A slow charcter doesn't need to be slow in anyway IMO. He's a hero after all. If he is slowed down dramatically by his own weapon, how does he manage to swing it? ;D

i will think about this.

thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! :cheers!:
Post by: maxman on November 14, 2012, 07:00:10 pm
Quote from: Pierwolf on November 14, 2012, 05:21:46 pm

well but you'are not forced to go immediately in battle after you accept the quest; you can first open all the 3 quests, and then decide wich battle face first.

I think he's talking about the starting point where you always start from lower left instead of lower right, and the number of the level difficulty. Maybe you can change direction to leftright in a level text for map and probably starting from right for difficulty. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: DJGameFreakTheIguana on November 15, 2012, 03:44:28 am
Quote from: Pierwolf on November 14, 2012, 05:21:46 pm
i've done this way because if there are 2 players, they can divide the reward bethween them. and other than this, it's more cool for me to see a lot of bags of money to grab :)

Wouldn't it be possible to set more money to spawn for each active playing? You can set a row of 8 bags, and another spawn really close to each bad for each player, and then, if their fair about it, can grab one bag from each pile.

x) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on November 15, 2012, 10:53:48 pm
Quote from: Pierwolf on November 13, 2012, 04:16:09 pm
I have a suggestion here. When you go to any individual there to talk in the beginning of the first scene, do you think you can make them talk again even though if anyone couldn't understand or get what they say? Any individual only talks once and that's it, and then you move on. Looking at the non-fighting scene reminds me of playing an any type of RPG game.

My suggestion is to make NPCs invincible to all attacks then spawn dialogues on their PAIN animation. This way, when player 'talk' to them, they won't be killed and instead play PAIN and spawn the dialogue. After PAIN is over, they return to IDLE allowing them to be 'talked' again. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: BeasTie on November 16, 2012, 01:22:43 am That's how I've made doors in doom mod. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Die_In_Fire on November 16, 2012, 05:20:19 am and how I made npc's talk on my mod :)

i liked the area clear concept, and i think that this way add a little strategy; take everything before times up, but i will think about this.

It's good, but you could gie a little bit more delay, the area finish too soon Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Yagami Brando on November 16, 2012, 05:46:50 am Very interesting idea, Pierwolf! I'm so craving to play as gunner again lol)
Actually I was not able to play DNF online normally (because they ip ban non-american players).
So - good luck with this mod, can't wait till it's fully done ;)
P.S. by the way - your castlevania mod is still alive or you gave up on it? just askin' Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 17, 2012, 02:33:56 pm
Quote from: Bloodbane on November 15, 2012, 10:53:48 pm
Quote from: Pierwolf on November 13, 2012, 04:16:09 pm

My suggestion is to make NPCs invincible to all attacks then spawn dialogues on their PAIN animation. This way, when player 'talk' to them, they won't be killed and instead play PAIN and spawn the dialogue. After PAIN is over, they return to IDLE allowing them to be 'talked' again.

i know this method, i've already experimented it before, but doing this way means i've to do a separate npc for every dialogue. but more important, doing the way you suggest doesn't give the player the xp for talking with the npc (or give it too much, it depends how you set the score command).

Quote from: Yagami Brando on November 16, 2012, 05:46:50 am
Very interesting idea, Pierwolf! I'm so craving to play as gunner again lol)
Actually I was not able to play DNF online normally (because they ip ban non-american players).
So - good luck with this mod, can't wait till it's fully done ;)
P.S. by the way - your castlevania mod is still alive or you gave up on it? just askin'

the castlevania mod will see the light, one day... but not in the immediate future. :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 17, 2012, 08:04:33 pm added pool, please vote!
you will decide the priest avatar for this game!
Post by: rafhot on November 17, 2012, 08:09:14 pm i voted in the dark one :p Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: NickyP on November 17, 2012, 08:55:10 pm Yaaay! Pierwolf considered my plea to have the short haired Priest! :cheers!:

Definitely voted for the first one!

Also, Pierwolf; do you ever plan to add extra multiplayer support, or is this definitively a two player mod? :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 17, 2012, 09:24:29 pm
Quote from: NickyP on November 17, 2012, 08:55:10 pm

Also, Pierwolf; do you ever plan to add extra multiplayer support, or is this definitively a two player mod? :)

maybe in the future i will add 4 player support, but for now, it will be 2 players only. :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on November 17, 2012, 11:33:42 pm
Quote from: Pierwolf on November 17, 2012, 02:33:56 pm
i know this method, i've already experimented it before, but doing this way means i've to do a separate npc for every dialogue. but more important, doing the way you suggest doesn't give the player the xp for talking with the npc (or give it too much, it depends how you set the score command).

I don't think it's good idea to award XP for talking with NPCs. You should instead, have them say important stuff which give useful info for players (such as tips n trick unavailable in how to play, enemy's weakness & hidden paths) so players will talk to NPCs regardless of XP reward.
Besides, as maxman posted, it's common in RPG games to talk to same NPC more than once.

Another way is, you can also make some puzzles whose clues are known to only certain NPCs. This way players will talk to all NPCs they can find looking for clues.

As for your trouble for making specific NPC, I have a solution for flexible NPC which can give dialogue based on level text setting. More, with this solution, you can even have 2 or more NPCs saying same dialogue.
Let me prepare the script for you. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: zankurous on November 18, 2012, 01:48:47 am Finally had the chance to play this demo and it definitely looks promising! I never thought I would come across a BOR mod which features such juggle-happy enemies! :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on November 18, 2012, 03:04:56 am Alright, attached below is animation script to spawn dialogue.

Here's an example on how to use it:
name TrooperN
score 0 -1
health 100
speed 8
aimove wander
type enemy
hostile none
gfxshadow 1
nodrop 2
falldie 1
defense all 0
noatflash 1
nolife 1
animationscript data/scripts/villager.c

alternatepal data/chars/trooper/map1.png
alternatepal data/chars/trooper/map2.png
alternatepal data/chars/trooper/map3.png

anim idle
loop 1
delay 10
offset 70 93
bbox 57 28 27 66
frame data/chars/trooper/idle.png

anim walk
loop 1
delay 10
offset 70 93
bbox 57 28 27 66
frame data/chars/trooper/walk1.png
frame data/chars/trooper/walk2.png
frame data/chars/trooper/walk3.png
frame data/chars/trooper/walk4.png
frame data/chars/trooper/walk5.png
frame data/chars/trooper/walk6.png

anim pain
delay 5
offset 70 93
@cmd spawnDial 160 0 206 320
delay 200

anim death
offset 70 93
delay 5000

In this example, TrooperN is immune to all attacktypes. In his PAIN, you can see @cmd spawnDial 160 0 206 320 which means dialogue will be spawned at center of screen (x =160), at 0 altitude, at z = 206 and in 320 pixels wide screen.
If you have wider screen, change the parameters accordingly.
There's no bbox in his PAIN to avoid getting 'talked to' again and there's 2 second delay before he finishes his PAIN animation. Well, he needs to breathe after talking and maybe drink a glass of water before he can talk again ;).

Here's an example on how to set TrooperN in level text:

spawn TrooperN
alias Talk017
coords 560 205 1
at 0

This mean, when TrooperN is talked to (plays his PAIN animation, technically) he spawns Talk017 dialogue. Of course, Talk017 must be preloaded before.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ALWAYS set alias to avoid NPC from spawning clone of himself/herself.

HTH Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Shin Kazahara on November 18, 2012, 03:27:48 am this game is upon based
Korean games for Arado Senki!? Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 18, 2012, 12:37:23 pm your npc system seems cool! i will try and let you know! thanks bloodbane! :cheers!:

Quote from: Shin Kazahara on November 18, 2012, 03:27:48 am
this game is upon based
Korean games for Arado Senki!?

i don't know, i've never played the original dungeon fighter! i only use the sprites and the gameplay is blandly based on dungeon fighter live, the xbox version, that is the only one i've played. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on November 18, 2012, 06:04:47 pm I have the Japanese version of Dungeon Fighter though. I downloaded it from Softendo. Arado Senki is a Japanese title for Dungeon Fighter. The game is low res but the Dungeon Fighter X-Box Live has taller ones than the low res.

Take a look at the attachments to see what Shin means and compare that low res Slayer in the attachment with the Slayer you have for your BOR. Look at the size difference? Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 18, 2012, 06:19:21 pm
Quote from: maxman on November 18, 2012, 06:04:47 pm

Take a look at the attachments to see what Shin means and compare that low res Slayer in the attachment with the Slayer you have for your BOR. Look at the size difference?

actually they seem to me the same type of sprites, they even have the same size :oops: or maybe i don't understand what you are talking about... :dunce:

Post by: maxman on November 18, 2012, 06:52:05 pm OK. Let me check it out if they look the same or not. The reason I thought about the comparison is because rafhot shared the sprite packs of DFO enemies here. I took a look at the sprites and thought they look tall by the look of the size. That's what made me assume about the size difference.

Just found out now. You were right. The size looks the same.

This is just to show you the height difference of them. Gunner, MJ, and Slayer.

Post by: Pierwolf on November 18, 2012, 08:10:33 pm ok, i think i've understood what you mean.

i know, the gunner is very tall, and the slayer is the smallest of the male characters; i can only suppose this is a precise graphic choice from the artists that work for DFO. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 19, 2012, 03:11:01 pm OK, the gunner is done and ready.

i will wait another day, then i will start working on the Priest.
in the meantime, enjoy the video! :cheers!:

GUNNER MOVELIST (
) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Yagami Brando on November 19, 2012, 03:24:12 pm Absolutely awesome, as a former Gunner player I approve this totally :cheers!:
This mod is going to kick major butt, I'm all excited now, keep it going man ;)
P.S. are you not planning female characters for this mod? I think at least one (mage or fighter) should be there. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: NickyP on November 19, 2012, 03:42:15 pm If Pierwolf plans to add any female characters, I nominate Thief. She was crazy fun to play as, even though I mained a Priest! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 19, 2012, 04:04:39 pm i don't like to play as females, so i don't think so. sorry! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on November 19, 2012, 05:20:22 pm Awwww. :( I like female fighters. Heheh! It's okay. It's up to you to do what you like. I only played DFO one time a couple years ago. It was fun. Now, too bad I cannot play it at home online. I missed playing it.

BTW that gunner looks sick with his moves!

Post by: nedflandeurse on November 20, 2012, 01:28:25 am Yes guys, I asked the same to Pierwolf about females, but it's a flat refusal... :-[

I'm sure the game will be great without girls, but it's a shame since DFO can generate great designs for females :blushing:

Perhaps we can add it in the future as bonus characters... Wait and see... Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on November 20, 2012, 01:59:39 am Yeah, and I plan to get a female DFO char for my DD mod if Pier uses female ones or not. I want to see female fighters which I haven't seen and the only female fighter I see is that girl Ryunfei which I mained one time.

BTW that Priest in dark blue green and black looks like Johan (ROTD). Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: nedflandeurse on November 20, 2012, 03:10:49 am Good news.
Some nice avatars can be seen here :
Category:Avatar Items - DFO World Wiki (Category:Avatar Items - DFO World Wiki)

I'm pretty sure Pierwolf's mod can become a great base to give DFO a "second life" Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Yagami Brando on November 20, 2012, 10:27:33 am @Pierwolf, actually I don't like to play as female characters myself, but I think there should be at least one of them. You know, it's kinda aesthetically right thing :) Just for the sake of it, it may seem unnecessary, but it is actually the thing that will do a lot of good to your mod ;)
Of course you are the boss to decide, but still :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 20, 2012, 02:18:40 pm
Quote from: nedflandeurse on November 20, 2012, 03:10:49 am
Good news.
Some nice avatars can be seen here :
Category:Avatar Items - DFO World Wiki (Category:Avatar Items - DFO World Wiki)

I'm pretty sure Pierwolf's mod can become a great base to give DFO a "second life"

cool, the first ones looks like sant seiya ;D

guys, in regards the female char thing, it simple a matter of identification for me. i mean, when i was a child, i used to play with he-man or optimus prime, not barbie, because i used to immedesimate with them, of course.
it's was a matter of immersion for me: same thing happens with videogames. i will never have fun playing a little loli girl! since this mods i create are the childhood dreams of mine, i will do them as i like. then of course i'm happy if my games are played and liked by everyone of you, but it's still me at first that i try to satisfy, since i've spent a lot of time learning how to use openbor! ;D
i really can't understand this "play as a female" thing that a lot of videogame people has nowaday, but i don't care if others wants to play as females, it's their way of fun, and it's ok. just not me. :)

anyway, it seems the white priest has won the contest, so tomorrow i will start making him! :cheers!: honor to you, blue priest, see you next time ;) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on November 20, 2012, 02:40:02 pm Congratz on the white priest of being a winner.

I always don't mind you using female chars though. :) I let you decide. ;) So best of luck on your work. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: BeasTie on November 20, 2012, 02:45:57 pm @PW - Agreed.

I think he-man's where it all that started thou, all those weird kids that watched she-ra instead..... Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Die_In_Fire on November 20, 2012, 03:47:31 pm well some people prefer to see women fighting than muscle guys, there's a lot of japanese fighting games with most of characters being female because a lot of men prefer to see girls bodies...

for me is only important for variation on screen, I loved the thief on Shadow over Mystara, loved Blaze on SOR, but on Golden Axe didn't like the girl

anyways cool about the Priest, I have never been able to play Dungeon FIghter so this mod is the closest chance I have to :cheers!: :cheers!: Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on November 20, 2012, 08:14:51 pm
well some people prefer to see women fighting than muscle guys, there's a lot of japanese fighting games with most of characters being female because a lot of men prefer to see girls bodies...

:bored: I am puzzled by that fact too. For sake of balance, it's fine (such as 1 female char and 2-3 male chars or 1 male & female pair per class). But having all female chars, it's just too much IMO.

As for your mod, you should focus on character diversity. If female chars don't offer different gameplay, why bother? Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: zankurous on November 20, 2012, 09:19:58 pm I´ve always believed that the addition of female fighters to action games is merely a simple way of filling the need for a quick yet weak character to a selection of characters. But then again, this is mainly a developer´s preference since many fighting games as well as sidescrolling beat-em-ups fill this void with nimble male characters. (Guy from Final Fight is an obvious example of this and the character is definitely popular!)

Now this definitely can get weird on games with a focus on a mostly female cast such as the Sailor Moon and the Ikki Tousen games, where it is quite hard to believe such skinny characters can dish out lots of damage! ;D Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: nedflandeurse on November 21, 2012, 12:36:55 am
Quote from: Die_In_Fire on November 20, 2012, 03:47:31 pm
for me is only important for variation on screen, I loved the thief on Shadow over Mystara, loved Blaze on SOR, but on Golden Axe didn't like the girl

+1

Quote from: Bloodbane on November 20, 2012, 08:14:51 pm
:bored: I am puzzled by that fact too. For sake of balance, it's fine (such as 1 female char and 2-3 male chars or 1 male & female pair per class). But having all female chars, it's just too much IMO.

+1 Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: zamuel on November 21, 2012, 10:35:05 am Not going to thread derail but I do find some of the sentiments on female characters interesting. While some games may overdo the fanservice aspects, I generally see them as a welcome addition to a game depending on the game. At the same time, I generally try to avoid character suggestions for other people's mods unless asked since it's their hard work going into it and thus their character choice.

-----

As far as character speed, my complaint actually wasn't with the Slayer but rather with the Fighter. I figured the Slayer fit the "heavy hitter is slow" mold while the Fighter seemed a tad sluggish for the good all around character. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 26, 2012, 12:49:51 pm you vote it, you got it!

WHITE PRIEST MOVELIST (
) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: NickyP on November 26, 2012, 01:14:09 pm :cheers!: Excellent! I cannot wait to play the next update! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on November 26, 2012, 01:43:02 pm That's so ***king awesome! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: darknior on November 26, 2012, 04:59:09 pm Yes, me too, really impressive :D
Post by: Bloodbane on November 26, 2012, 08:15:51 pm You know, that big cross shaped hammer reminds me to cross gun in Trigun. I almost expect Priest to use it to shoot ala machinegun but then I realized this is not Trigun ;D :blushing:.

Anyways, this Priest turns out to be air magic user instead. I was expecting light based attacks.
Nonetheless, great video and great moves! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: nedflandeurse on November 27, 2012, 12:00:32 am Very nice job. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 27, 2012, 01:42:26 pm
Quote from: Bloodbane on November 26, 2012, 08:15:51 pm
You know, that big cross shaped hammer reminds me to cross gun in Trigun. I almost expect Priest to use it to shoot ala machinegun but then I realized this is not Trigun ;D :blushing:.

Anyways, this Priest turns out to be air magic user instead. I was expecting light based attacks.
Nonetheless, great video and great moves!

is trigun a manga? i don't know it, maybe the dungeon fighter priest is inspired by this :-[

the priest use the force of lightning and wind. :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on November 27, 2012, 09:02:46 pm I don't know about inspiration stuff. If you are curious, try looking images for Nicholas D Wolfwood with google. Just look at his weapon and you'll see what I mean ;).

the priest use the force of lightning and wind.

OK, I meant Light as Holy attack. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Yagami Brando on November 28, 2012, 05:15:00 am Tried the demo today and it is awesome. Great work you are doing here mr. Pierwolf.
I have some questions about minor stuff, like that:
Dialog boxes of characters in towns appear with constant blinking. Was that intentional? Maybe just plain appearance would be better? Without this blinking?
And the second issue - the first time I was playing with Slayer, and completed the demo very easily. Although he is very immobile. Especially his walking speed, when walking up and down. Of course there is still running, but still.
Then I tried to play as fighter - he is faster and his movement sp[eed seems ok. But he is very weak, I'm talking about his vitality. In the first mission I lost a live after missing and taking damage from one goblin, and then others just mash me to death, without the chance to retaliate. And also his vitality is decreasing 3 times the speed of Slayer. And as I was talking earlier, at least one female character in the final version just for the sake of it would be ultra nice.
Overall it is a great looking project and I will sure follow its progress. I hope it will not take you VERY long to finish this project. :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on November 28, 2012, 01:54:47 pm
Quote from: Yagami Brando on November 28, 2012, 05:15:00 am
Tried the demo today and it is awesome. Great work you are doing here mr. Pierwolf.
I have some questions about minor stuff, like that:
Dialog boxes of characters in towns appear with constant blinking. Was that intentional? Maybe just plain appearance would be better? Without this blinking?

yes it's intentional, for now.

Quote from: Yagami Brando on November 28, 2012, 05:15:00 am
And the second issue - the first time I was playing with Slayer, and completed the demo very easily. Although he is very immobile. Especially his walking speed, when walking up and down. Of course there is still running, but still.
Then I tried to play as fighter - he is faster and his movement sp[eed seems ok. But he is very weak, I'm talking about his vitality. In the first mission I lost a live after missing and taking damage from one goblin, and then others just mash me to death, without the chance to retaliate. And also his vitality is decreasing 3 times the speed of Slayer. And as I was talking earlier, at least one female character in the final version just for the sake of it would be ultra nice.
Overall it is a great looking project and I will sure follow its progress. I hope it will not take you VERY long to finish this project. :)

i will of course change here and there in the final release, trying to make all chars the most balanced possible.

no female characters, now and never. sorry ;)

i too hope to not taking very long time, but you know, with work and real life, who ever knows? :-[

thank you for the feedback! :cheers!:
Post by: Pierwolf on December 02, 2012, 10:13:58 am hi everybody! just a small update, the project goes on! enjoy and let me know what you think! :cheers!:

Adventure mode Sample (
)
Post by: Yagami Brando on December 02, 2012, 11:21:33 am Awesome :) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: zenny on December 02, 2012, 02:30:19 pm
Quote from: Pierwolf on December 02, 2012, 10:13:58 am
hi everybody! just a small update, the project goes on! enjoy and let me know what you think! :cheers!:

Adventure mode Sample (
)

WOW. That looks fun dude! Can't wait to see it. Imma download Dungeon Fighter also. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: darknior on December 02, 2012, 04:09:32 pm So cool video :D
Post by: rafhot on December 02, 2012, 04:15:16 pm :cheers!:
Pierwolf the creator of the year!
Post by: Cyrus Annihilator on December 02, 2012, 04:19:21 pm GREAT (as always) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: maxman on December 02, 2012, 04:48:03 pm Awesome vid, Pier! Great features! I like how you make NPCs talk at countless times as is. Good RPG feeling though. ;) Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on December 03, 2012, 01:14:13 am Great work Pierwolf! that's how talking to NPC should be in RPG style games.

One suggestion I could give you is to hide map icons such as dungeons and towers and show them only after related quest are unlocked. The spawnscript required to do this is same with the ones used for locking/unlocking branches :).
Though you need to use setlayer 1 for icons and setlayer 2 (at least) for branch so the latter overlaps the former.

Forgot to say this, great idea on adding strikers! Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Pierwolf on December 03, 2012, 03:11:11 pm
Quote from: Bloodbane on December 03, 2012, 01:14:13 am
Great work Pierwolf! that's how talking to NPC should be in RPG style games.

One suggestion I could give you is to hide map icons such as dungeons and towers and show them only after related quest are unlocked. The spawnscript required to do this is same with the ones used for locking/unlocking branches :).
Though you need to use setlayer 1 for icons and setlayer 2 (at least) for branch so the latter overlaps the former.

Forgot to say this, great idea on adding strikers!

thanks to you bloodbane, for the villager script! :cheers!:
a quick question: there is some way in order to make the comic spawn from the npc, instead that from the edge of the screen? i think i have to play with the void command, and change the "int Edge" line, but i'm not enterely sure how to make it :nervous: Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Bloodbane on December 03, 2012, 10:12:14 pm That function is designed to spawn something relative from leftscreen edge. RPG games usually spawn dialogue in center of screen that's why I suggested that function.

Well if you want to spawn dialogue relative from NPC, try these ones:
void spawnX(void vName, float fX, float fY, float fZ)
{
//Spawns entity next to caller.
//
//vName: Model name of entity to be spawned in.
//fX: X location adjustment.
//fY: Y location
//fZ: Z location

void self = getlocalvar("self"); //Get calling entity.
void vSpawn; //Spawn object.
int iDirection = getentityproperty(self, "direction");

clearspawnentry(); //Clear current spawn entry.
setspawnentry("name", vName); //Acquire spawn entity by name.

if (iDirection == 0){ //Is entity facing left?
fX = -fX; //Reverse X direction to match facing.
}

fX = fX + getentityproperty(self, "x"); //Get X location and add adjustment.

vSpawn = spawn(); //Spawn in entity.

changeentityproperty(vSpawn, "position", fX, fZ, fY); //Set spawn location.

return vSpawn; //Return spawn.
}

void spawnDial2(float fX, float fY, float fZ)
{//Spawns dialogue next to caller
// Spawned dialogue matches entity's alias
//fX: X location adjustment
//fY: Y location
//fZ: Z location

void self = getlocalvar("self"); //Get calling entity
char Name = getentityproperty(self,"name");

spawnX(Name, fX, fY, fZ); //Spawn dialogue
}

HTH Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: Yagami Brando on December 04, 2012, 03:28:09 am By the way - is that your final decision to play as left-right moving cursor in the cities?
Maybe walking around as a character (like in your Knights and Dragons mod in taverns) and talking to people would be better. Title: Re: Dungeon Fighter: B.O.R.
Post by: msmalik681 on December 07, 2012, 03:24:27 am this project looks amazing you have put a lot of work in to it and it really shows !
  • Love
Reactions: spyroskonst
Author
Pierwolf
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Pierwolf

Back