Castlevania, Waltz of Sorrow v1.5

Canceled Castlevania, Waltz of Sorrow v1.5 1.5

No permission to download
Project is halted prior to completion and will not receive further updates.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright - after a discussion in PM, and I use that term liberally, @Dr. Scorpio is banned for a year. Obviously don't expect updates here. I'll upload the last copy when I get a chance for anyone who is interested to try it.

My opinion? It's a mess. An absolute mess. Visually, it looks like you're watching the whole thing through a low fidelity Gaussian filter. It's somehow both muddy and pixelated at the same time.

1776038144131.png 1776038354576.png

The controls are clunky piano style, with a button for every sub-weapon.

1776038111896.png

After an un-skippable cut-scene, this is what you start on. Look at this disarray. The fire is animated. That's really all I can say that's good. The skeleton walking on air throwing things at you says enough about the platforming. You can of course do the same.

Waltz_of_Sorrow - 0000.pngWaltz_of_Sorrow - 0001.png

The animation is just as bad. Really I can't explain how off everythig is. Just jumping alone is a problem. For whatever reason, you leave a distracting trail of afterimages through the entire motion. The prejump animation is 14 centiseconds - in a platformer game. The jump animation itself is aukward and makes it look as if the jump trajectory is altered midair.

Waltz_of_Sorrow - 0002.png

Your main attack is painfully slow, and you can't chain it. The difficulty is there, but for all the wrong reasons. It's not precise. Not demanding. Just cheap. Then of course there is a laundry list of technical issues. I turned it off without progressing further.

In short, this is very much a beginner's effort. Not a thing wrong with that, in a vaccum. Not at all. Everyone starts somewhere. Unfortunatly, as you can see from posts above, the creator decided they were an expert at 2D mechanics and that the game is beyond reproach. Too bad, because if taken as a skeleton to build on, there might have been something here.

DC
 
Alright - after a discussion in PM, and I use that term liberally, @Dr. Scorpio is banned for a year. Obviously don't expect updates here. I'll upload the last copy when I get a chance for anyone who is interested to try it.

My opinion? It's a mess. An absolute mess. Visually, it looks like you're watching the whole thing through a low fidelity Gaussian filter. It's somehow both muddy and pixelated at the same time.

View attachment 14440 View attachment 14441

The controls are clunky piano style, with a button for every sub-weapon.

View attachment 14439

After an un-skippable cut-scene, this is what you start on. Look at this disarray. The fire is animated. That's really all I can say that's good. The skeleton walking on air throwing things at you says enough about the platforming. You can of course do the same.

View attachment 14443View attachment 14442

The animation is just as bad. Really I can't explain how off everythig is. Just jumping alone is a problem. For whatever reason, you leave a distracting trail of afterimages through the entire motion. The prejump animation is 14 centiseconds - in a platformer game. The jump animation itself is aukward and makes it look as if the jump trajectory is altered midair.

View attachment 14444

Your main attack is painfully slow, and you can't chain it. The difficulty is there, but for all the wrong reasons. It's not precise. Not demanding. Just cheap. Then of course there is a laundry list of technical issues. I turned it off without progressing further.

In short, this is very much a beginner's effort. Not a thing wrong with that, in a vaccum. Not at all. Everyone starts somewhere. Unfortunatly, as you can see from posts above, the creator decided they were an expert at 2D mechanics and that the game is beyond reproach. Too bad, because if taken as a skeleton to build on, there might have been something here.

DC


Thanks DC,
I was about to give him a feedback (before he even replied my question about the size)

And my feedback ib basically what you said.
Actually many "errors" of game design since the first enemies.
The unskippable scenes are the stuffs that usually makes me stop playing a game. (there are fews around, and I decided to ingore such games)
But this time after 5 minutes, I thought I would give it a try later, because the creator worked a lot on it and the BIG file was certainy worth playing later.
-> But I have to admit I cannot go back to it. Only few mods/projects gaves me this feeling in the late years.

the color management/compression/palette is a total mess.

I had the same feeling for the one button one action stuff.
It took me so long to define wich one would be better in wich key... Because we are not used to have so many buttons for similar action. (Just like if Tekken had 16 attack buttons)

I always keep in mind that size (in HDD, cloud, PC etc.) have a cost.
And it does not seems, here it was necessary ^^;

I don't think the guy is bad, but having worked years on something without telling anyone, with the idea the game is perfect was certainly the worst context when the day to test in public comes.
YES, we are a WIP-projects community.
I think no one here is 100% sure to first-release a mod that have absolutely everything perfect without having some feedbacks from the community to make it playable/better.
 
As requested @NED, I uploaded the module, made the orginal creator its owner and linked to discussion. Third party links removed.

Before uploading, I ran it through my orphan removal application. Good gravy... the original pack weighed in at just over 800MB uncompressed. More than half of that (414MB) was unused cruft. The download file is now 281MB. No optimization at all. Just basic cleanup with an automated tool.

Screenshot 2026-04-14 044352.png

1776157939317.png

It's still a terrible game in every aspect, and I hate saying that. I really do. @Dr. Scorpio was a long standing member from all the way back in 2013, and from what I gather had worked on this almost that long. It's for that reason alone I tried to bring in a mediator in PM and hoped we could settle things. Like you @NED, I don't think he's a bad guy per say. He just has a severe case of Dunning Kruger effect.

Anyway, the module is available. So there it is.

DC
 
As requested @NED, I uploaded the module, made the orginal creator its owner and linked to discussion. Third party links removed.
Thanks for the cleanup. It was not even needed to optimize the code or something.
BTW I don't remember having requested an upload ^^; only asking why it was so freaking heavy,
but sure the cleaned version is finally here.
Thanks again, perhaps it would make more people whant to try this experience between "bor classic mods" and "some of the strangest openbor edited games on YT"
 
I thought I'd give this a try because it can't be THAT bad, boy was I wrong, this game is beyond terrible, I wondered why no video footage of it exists online and it's because it looks so awful that no one has been able to play it for longer than 10 minutes, my eyes felt like they were bleeding after the first few minutes.


Visually it makes no sense right from the start, why are their candles hovering outside a Liquor store that also has transparent fire burning through metal shutters?

The animation is the worst I've seen in an Openbor game, it's choppy and jerky and I can definitely tell the difference between work you did @Dr. Scorpio and what's been taken from other peoples games, infact.... the best thing about this game IS all the parts you've taken from other peoples games.

The music and sound aspect of the game gave me a headache because it sounds as bad as it looks.

The mechanics are the definition of jank, it reminded me of E.T on the Atari 2600, it's a good job there's no physical copies of Castlevania Wrath of Sorrow because they would end up on a landfill in new mexico too.

Playing this game actually made me feel depressed because I realised the cost to my electric bill this has added just by downloading it, I've had to pay my internet provider the bandwidth needed to play this game and I kinda am offended by it, I've wasted time and money I'll NEVER get back, this is the type of game that gives the OpenBor engine a bad rep.

I rate this game a -100 out of 10,

It's not all bad though and here's the good points, I have a new way to punish my child when he doesn't eat his vegetables or cleans his room, the next time my kid steps out of line I'll tell him " Go play CASTLEVANIA wrath of sorrow....NOW!!! " that will teach him the true meaning of sorrow.
 
I have been playing this for a few weeks for testing. I did give some suggestions and feedback. But i could not really give too much because the game is so jank and brutal i could not even get past Stage 2 , Then totally give up on it hahaha. Scorpio was super cool to me tho.
 
un-pak'd the cut down version and reenabled cheats/debug features... and there isn't much hitbox-related jank despite thinking he shouldn't be getting hit nearly as often and I didn't realize you could double jump until I kept dying to a bottomless pit that definitely uses the hole command. The player model controls THAT badly.
 
I saw this game on YouTube and I downloaded it from here. This can't be the same game, it looked a lot better on YouTube! Where can I get what's on YouTube? There is no download link there.

Admin Note: Posted under sock puppet account Cykrane
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I'd give this a try because it can't be THAT bad, boy was I wrong, this game is beyond terrible, I wondered why no video footage of it exists online and it's because it looks so awful that no one has been able to play it for longer than 10 minutes, my eyes felt like they were bleeding after the first few minutes.


Visually it makes no sense right from the start, why are their candles hovering outside a Liquor store that also has transparent fire burning through metal shutters?

The animation is the worst I've seen in an Openbor game, it's choppy and jerky and I can definitely tell the difference between work you did @Dr. Scorpio and what's been taken from other peoples games, infact.... the best thing about this game IS all the parts you've taken from other peoples games.

The music and sound aspect of the game gave me a headache because it sounds as bad as it looks.

The mechanics are the definition of jank, it reminded me of E.T on the Atari 2600, it's a good job there's no physical copies of Castlevania Wrath of Sorrow because they would end up on a landfill in new mexico too.

Playing this game actually made me feel depressed because I realised the cost to my electric bill this has added just by downloading it, I've had to pay my internet provider the bandwidth needed to play this game and I kinda am offended by it, I've wasted time and money I'll NEVER get back, this is the type of game that gives the OpenBor engine a bad rep.

I rate this game a -100 out of 10,

It's not all bad though and here's the good points, I have a new way to punish my child when he doesn't eat his vegetables or cleans his room, the next time my kid steps out of line I'll tell him " Go play CASTLEVANIA wrath of sorrow....NOW!!! " that will teach him the true meaning of sorrow.
Lol what is this game, is this supposed to be a joke, it's not the real game, right?
 
It is real.... attempt from the dev to make castlevania game. However, judging from his latest video, he's missing many balancing stuffs.
 
It is real.... attempt from the dev to make castlevania game. However, judging from his latest video, he's missing many balancing stuffs.
This really makes the OpenBor look bad as OpenBor engine is alot alot more powerful than that. I'm still a beginner, but this is far far beyond terrible.
Even the fire looks terrible although DC has tried to give him some credits for it.

I've been scripting and creating alot of ideas to setup the go_by for my game. I have so many ideas, but no time to do it all.
I am currently working on Dr. Strange and Dr. stages including Mirror Dimension and Ultron (I extracted from UMVC3). Yhe results came out amazing. Will post them to my game topic soon. After that, I'll work on floating island (Avatar) with several fg backgrounds (still try to find pictures for this).
 
I saw this game on YouTube and I downloaded it from here. This can't be the same game, it looked a lot better on YouTube! Where can I get what's on YouTube? There is no download link there.

Sorry @Cykrane. The creator is banned here for abrasive behavior, so whatever they do outside the community is not my concern. If you're really that interested, all I can suggest is follow the videos and maybe something will come up. I would also suggest poking around resources here. There are many talented creators like @Kratus, @O Ilusionista, @Mr.Q!, @ABK, @magggas, @Bloodbane, @ZVitor, and others with polished creations I think you would enjoy.

DC
 
Oh I'd honestly be fascinated to see all the stuff that was in there that wasn't used. There a backup copy anywhere? I already checked the website, the videos, and the guy's discord and there's no links for the gigabytes of unused material that I'd love to see because the IDEA of all that sitting in a folder is a fascinating human story I want to explore.
 
I just joined his Discord and asked him. He said that your moderator Danno, trashed his game in the DMs, and Dr. Scorpio reacted. Dr. Scorpio also told me that he was looking to improve the game because he knew that he lacked in some areas, and he said that he was disgusted by the behavior he received, and what was said on this thread. I have been watching his videos, the game looks good. Honestly, I don't like the fact that I found this demo after looking up this game, because this isn't the game! From what I have seen, it is way better on YouTube, and he has some private videos on Discord. Honestly, I think you should erase this thread, (it makes you look bad.) Dr. Scorpio said, that he has no problems with anyone in this community, and he is willing to work with others, as long as he isn't disrespected.

Admin Note: Posted under sock puppet account Cykrane
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The upside of this community rarely deleting threads (except for adult spam) is that we have a public log of everything that happens.
You only have to look at the initial posts to see that people tried to help the user—including the very developer who maintains the engine—by offering tips on how to optimize the game. The developer even created a new tool to optimize projects.

And the responses were...

No disrespect.... Like I said I don't care, I made a good game.
It's not a demo.... Honestly, I don't care if it's 2.3 GB. (Because most games have a bunch of unused content.) I'm not here to be perfect on space, I'm here to make near perfect gameplay.
That's bad assumption to make! Tell you what.... I will go start this on another platform, and you can hear about about how much people like playing it later.... I

I think it’s clear who "looks bad" here :)

The user could at least try approaching the administration politely and attempting to rejoin the community; after all, everyone makes mistakes and loses their temper now and then.

It’s not uncommon for the administration to grant a second chance in such cases (even though, as far as I recall, the behavior usually repeats itself). Unfortunately, however, I doubt the outcome here would have been any different, given the language used on the fake account.

This is one of the most helpful communities I’ve ever been part of (and I’ve been in online communities for nearly 30 years). We are here to help.
Many people know how to make the most of this, while others prefer to act disrespectfully; instead of trying to correct their mistakes, they choose to claim they were "bullied" or complain about too much "politics" here.

In the end, every villain thinks they are the hero of their own story.
 
I just joined his Discord and asked him. He said that your moderator Danno, trashed his game in the DMs, and Dr. Scorpio reacted. Dr. Scorpio also told me that he was looking to improve the game because he knew that he lacked in some areas, and he said that he was disgusted by the behavior he received, and what was said on this thread. I have been watching his videos, the game looks good. Honestly, I don't like the fact that I found this demo after looking up this game, because this isn't the game! From what I have seen, it is way better on YouTube, and he has some private videos on Discord. Honestly, I think you should erase this thread, (it makes you look bad.) Dr. Scorpio said, that he has no problems with anyone in this community, and he is willing to work with others, as long as he isn't disrespected.
We were judging it by of what we have seen. The game may have been improved, but by the look of it in the video, I am sorry to say the game really makes the OpenBor look bad as OpenBor engine is much much for powerful than that. To me, the game will look trash if the dev keeps on heading this direction.
DC can be something, but to be honest he is very good of what he is doing!, I have realized that he was right about me not listening to his advice all along.
Because of that, it has costed me alot of time and efforts.
I don't know what happened between him and DC, but
I think every beginners+ should always listen to his advice regardless.
He criticizes or even trashes our works so that we can be on the right direction!
Try not to take it personal! Listen and learn to create a better game!
DC is my top idol, and the rest of the top dev here such as Kratus, O Ilusionista, BloodBane, Piccolo, msmalik681, so on are also my idols
 
No, that guy is right! You guys look like A##holes here. Your communities bad rep comes from that. Not the overwhelming amount of bad unfinished games every one Reddit talks sh#t about. (Go look on Reddit you guys get killed on there by real Devs) lmao! I have played a lot of games from here, they either suck, or they are unfinished. I have never seen so many Sh#t bag A##holes and brown nosing cowards in my life! I hope he makes you all look like idiots! I saw Scorpio’s channel over 4.5k views. If anything you should be glad people are noticing this sh##y website! Lmao!

Admin Note: Posted under sock puppet account Lanestar
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom