• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

In Progress [ORIGINAL] Shinobi Densetsu (HELP NEEDED!)

The project is currently under development.

kzr

hello everyone, I'm the new guy :)

at the post title suggests, I'm looking for talented modders for a serious project. I have a ton of graphics and sounds ready but I'm not much of a programmer, and even if my start with openBOR was kind of easy and fast, I am in no way in a position to make a whole game alone.

seeing as this is original material, and openBOR  allows commercial usage, I suggest we work towards commercial release,  splitting the profits. It is in first place a work of love, and I hope that whoever decides to join does it in first place for this reason.

these are some of the characters I have planned. many of them are animated. some can be previewed here:

https://giphy.com/channel/retraissance

There is a story and a setting, and ideally the game is a platformer / beat'em up crosover with RPG elements. kind of a metroidvania with heavy focus on combat.

If you like this idea and have the skills, let me know

No one can bring your works of art to life better then you.  You could use openbor to make all your base animation then request a coder to help you with the fancy stuff.

When I first came here I was just a artist with no coding skill.  Now I am writing tutorials and sometimes taking requests.

Interesting.
In fact, I cannot help, because I'm an artist as well and I still have difficulties to handle my own project. It was cancelled for some months now.
And I just started re working on it to finish the game system. At least...

Good luck.

BTW : I think there is some edits in your preview.
This Kenshin edited sprite  should not be used in a commercial game I think.
Not sure about how Openbor manages it.

I did use and modify some sprites from Opengameart , which allows commercial usage.  and the megaman-like spear man will ultimately be redone. Î got that one from someone else as an idea.

Thanks Bloodbane. Yes I do, I've been prototyping this game for quite some time now but never really had the time to finish anything on my own. Like I said before, a crossover between metroidvania and beat'em up would be spot on.

msmalik681 I am transferring my animations to openBOR as a first step already. from there on I can use the built in movements to fine-tune animations and begin adding advanced behaviors. It's still quite a lot to take in at once

Sorry for the double post, but just in case someone is still following, I've got 3 enemies and 1 player working properly albeit missing some graphics for specific animations. no biggie, will be filled in later. it's pretty fun already since the 3 enemies are very distinct and one of them is hostile towards anything that moves. And you can throw enemies on it and it will damage them :D. It's a hedgehog. a freaking huge one :D

image ru

The whole API is still a lot to take up at once, but slowly, with openbor stats and the manual, progress is being made.

Invitation is still open. I'd gladly take any help I can get to go from "OpenBOR mod" to "full blown original game"

Hello there kzr and allow me to introduce myself, i am Jeremiah Cuff, an member of this wonderful community and the founder of the fan game group Danksmith Games. If you ever need to help creating graphics for game projects or be a part of my fan game group, i'm your man! You got some great good graphics going on here and i am looking forward to see more of your created sprite artwork in updates to come. Keep up the good work!  :)

Hi Jeremiah, thank you for your kind words :) I'm not really interested in fan games at the moment, even though at one point I was involved in an open source Sonic fan game.

I will indeed keep exploring openBOR as it suits my needs perfectly and the learning curve is pretty smooth. as far as sprites go I have enough to keep me busy for a while, but I'm really lacking on backgrounds and knowledge of level design.

I'm aiming for a River City Ransom kind of gig. a non linear beat 'em up with RPG elements. Any help on either or both fronts is most welcome :)

I too am looking at making a side scrolling beat em up with rpg elements.  Once you have your base i could help you with things like a menu system, player stats, equipment and usable items.

msmalik681 that would be awesome! Character creation has me for a while, so it's going to take some time until I get into those mechanics, but thank you very much for the offer.

It would be cool though, if we could work the stats system right away, since I have to adapt all characters to use those variables and it wouldn't make much sense to make all characters to later have to modify them one by one. I could just make a template.

I had these mockups for the stats, UI and inventory.

I don't know how the scripting works, and haven't looked into it yet, but I'm assuming one could also "cheat" the engine using entities for specific tasks. Like an invisible entity that plays sounds, to go around the "1 sound per anim" limitation, for example.

oops, looks like I misinterpreted the manual. That's even better, I guess.
So if I want to do footstep sounds I can use sounds in the frames. Then I have another question: What if I want to:

1. Make the sound play at a random pitch inside a range, for example from 0.5x to 1.5x speed everytime the sample is called
2. Alternatively choose a random sample from a set of N samples
3. Alter footstep sound based on floor type and environment (reverb, for example)

kzr said:

Logic based sound control like that requires script.

Pitch and sample randomization are easy enough. You can also control location by varying left and right volume output. The only limitation is reverb. There is no built in reverb, so you would need to call on different samples with the reverb pre-recorded.

DC

ok here's another idea, I made it work on earlier prototypes of this game as a proof of concept, and I was wondering if and how it would work in openBOR.

a stealth system which takes sound sources into account.

let's say a footstep, when you are walking it produces little to no noise. but if you run it is louder. using differently sized circular objects I simulated sound sources. if one of these objects collides with an enemy before you are within range and in sight, it will get alerted. being sighted triggers pursuit, otherwise alerts enemies to search for the player at the location the sound was generated.

a good stealth system would definitely need good scripting knowledge.  But you could make a shabby one with the default tools just spawn invisible entity's on  each step that have a expanding attackbox if they hit a enemy they change to a hostile weapon version of themselves.

finally, my characters behave the way I want, because the engine understands me <3

yes, I speak beat 'em up too

That's great news, I wish I can do the same with my project :)
The Hedgehog attack move is cool and original, I very like it! Happy to see you've made some progress  :D

nice updates your animations are very smooth i made some original characters for my mod and some animations are so choppy i am just too stingy to add more frames.

thanks for your support :)
as far as animations go, I'm certainly not the best animator or spriter, but one thing I always make sure to follow is the keyframe principle. With good keyframes even a 2-frame animation looks smooth, in the sense that the motion is well described by the graphics. from there on, making the animation smoother is easy because you know that from key to key it's only transition. the movement is already there, you're just adding intermediate poses.

believe it or not, my longest animations are at most 6 to 8 frames long and those are generally walking  or running animations. Like Streets of Rage, mostly  8)

Back
Top Bottom