• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Beat'em Up World site (in the wake of PunchPedia)

Kotix

Hello, my dear beat'em up lovers, I bet you already know about the #1 site devoted to brawlers - http://www.punchpedia.com.
But it didn't have updates for 5 years, so it's time to make it live again. Unfortunately I don't have time to contritbute and don't have enough Backend skills to add some features to PunchPedia. ...Buuuuut I have to practise Frontend and making another ToDo List is boring as hell. So why not learn and make something useful at the same time? (I talked with creator of PunchPedia and he is ok with use of his site data).

So here it is, Frontend-powered Beat'em Up World: https://beat-em-up-world.now.sh

Pros: Filter by ALL parameters (most of them are not so useful but still that's cool), no need for hosting, easy to contribute via Pull Requests, Beat'em Ups "API".
Cons: backend as JSON, no cool domain name.

Feel free to add new games here easily: https://github.com/s-pyadyshev/beat-em-ups-api
I hope that this project will help us to revive interest in Beat'em Up genre and make the beat'em ups database 100% completed. But you still may contribute to PunchPedia as well. Just let us know.

I'd like to see your comments: which features should be added, what should be enhanced/removed etc., any feedback is appreciated!.
https://github.com/s-pyadyshev/beat-em-up-world - source code

Hello Kotix

Too bad I never heard of punchpedia before

But anyways, about this Beat'm Up world site. Is this for arcade and console games?

Update: it is still alive :), I added a lot of games into list including some OpenBOR ones, added about 10 completed detail pages. Added "game of day" block but it is required to update release dates (dd-mm-yyyy) for all games in json. Did refactoring mostly.

Hey, I liked the idea a lot. Just a small feedback:
XyFT7Dp.png

(notice how much the "/" in variety stand outs of the rest of the text)

Using the same color scheme for all itens makes them hard to read, specially on the lists.
Its a good UX practice to alter the colors between lines, so its easier to read, like this:
48d6KkD.png

Bring some color to your site - it will bring some life into it.

Good luck with your project :)

I'm very bad at design, so I appreciate your feedback, thank you :)  left or right table cell should have different color definitely or backgrounds like on PunchPedia.
I also thought about adding a red color to "No" value and green color to "Yes" (opposite to "No") value.

Now there are 400 games in the list and it's 75% complete, that's why I'm gonna take a hiatus. I hope I'll be able to complete it to the end of the next year.

But you can help me. It's easy, just find a game colored red, take this template, fill it and paste it here:

{
"missing": true,
"name": "name",
"platform": "PC",
"perspective": "2.5D",
"about": "about",
"trivia": "trivia",
"country": "country",
"developer": "developer",
"publisher": "publisher",
"releasedate": "unknown",
"releaseYear": null,
"otherPlatforms": null,
"series": null,
"players": 1,
"structure": "structure",
"difficulty": "difficulty",
"gangsize": null,
"variety": ["None"],
"playtime": null,
"buttons": null,
"combos": null,
"grabs": "grabs",
"dashing": "dashing",
"enemyHBars": null,
"itemPickup": null,
"itemStay": null,
"weaponsStay": null,
"deathBlow": null,
"friendlyFire": null,
"charSwitch": null,
"groundHit": "groundHit",
"revive": null,
"restore": null,
"artStyle": "artStyle",
"sprites": null,
"setting": "setting",
"focus": "focus",
"music": ["Video game"],
"tone": "tone",
"gore": [null],
"fighters": null,
"stages": null,
"enemies": null,
"bosses": null,
"weapons": [null],
"lives": null,
"continues": null,
"extend": null,
"overallReview": "overallReview",
"cover": "",
"images": [""],
"videos": [""],
"links": [""],
"beatemupBingo": {
"go": false,
"sunsetEnding": false,
"healthMeat": false,
"sleevelessJacket": false,
"bossWithGun": false,
"fireBombs": false,
"twowordTitle": false,
"throwingKnife": false,
"subwayStage": false,
"exproWrestler": false,
"steelPipe": false,
"kindnappedFemale": false,
"specialDrainsHealth": false,
"oilDrums": false,
"clowns": false,
"yellowRedHealthBar": false,
"dominatrix": false,
"powerSpeedBalance": false,
"elevatorScene": false,
"mansionStage": false,
"mohawks": false,
"buildingSite": false,
"fatCharginMen": false,
"sharpSuits": false,
"graffiti": false
}
}

essential values are:
name
platform
perspective - 2D, 2.5D, 3D
country - country of developer
developer
publisher
releasedate - DD.MM.YYYY
releaseYear
series
players
structure
difficulty
grabs
dashing
groundHit
artStyle
setting
focus
music
tone
gore
fighters
cover
images
videos
links

https://github.com/s-pyadyshev/beat-em-ups-api/blob/master/filter.json - here you can take a look at some parameter values to use.

Pretty cool. Never heard of the site before. Streets of rage online, brawlers avenue and double dragon dojo all died. At cc is still going.

Glad whsj  obor got a page fantastic game.

Year in review:
More than 100 titles were added, some small design enhancements were made.
Completion is ~70%. There are about 200 titles to be added.
According to optimistic plan it is possible to finish all of them by the end of 2024.
My own global plan is to learn Ruby and practice backend with all this data. Good luck to me, haha.

Some update news: added Charts (Beat'em Up World) and more games as well.

I have to put the project on hiatus since I live in Russia and we have tough times now due to "partial" mobilization.
Fortunately I work in IT company so I'll probably get a protection from the army. Anyway it was a point of no return, so I'm putting all my efforts into self education and extra work currently to emigrate in the future when it will be possible for russians to get work visas.

Last edited:
Well, 2022 and 2023 years were quite stressful in Russia, so my plans on our "beat'em up world" were shattered. Anyway I did some stuff here and there:

- Added more detail pages for popular and rare titles, found some old brawlers I've never heard before, filled all South Korean brawlers finally.
- So there are 600 (😀) games in the list now, which is a good achievement, even despite the fact that the total number includes some identical ports.
- It is required to add detail pages for the rest of ~100 games
- And there are 50+ games in the draft notes that could potentially be added.
- Added a Charts page with graphs/statistics by year of release, platform, country, and a bunch of other things. Because "why not?".
- Added a display of games that will have their 10/20/30/etc/anniversary in a week. Thanks TFK for this request and help with some detail pages as well!
- I didn't make a real backend as I wanted to, but who cares 😬

I won't make plans anymore currently. I’ll just be updating the beat'em ups list and detail pages bit by bit.

Last edited:
Well, 2022 and 2023 years were quite stressful in Russia, so my plans on our "beat'em up world" were shattered. Anyway I did some stuff here and there:

- Added more detail pages for popular and rare titles, found some old brawlers I've never heard before, filled all South Korean brawlers finally.
- So there are 600 (😀) games in the list now, which is a good achievement, even despite the fact that the total number includes some identical ports.
- It is required to add detail pages for the rest of ~120 games
- And there are 50+ games in the draft notes that could potentially be added.
- Added a Charts page with graphs/statistics by year of release, platform, country, and a bunch of other things. Because "why not?".
- Added a display of games that will have their 10/20/30/etc/anniversary in a week. Thanks TFK for this request and help with some detail pages as well!
- I didn't make a real backend as I wanted to, but who cares 😬

I won't make plans anymore currently. I’ll just be updating the beat'em ups list and detail pages bit by bit.

Thanks for the initiative.
I remmeber scolling pages on punchpedia long time ago, but I was kind of "lost".
But I really like the search options etc.

I'm glad such a database exists for beat em up genre.

Hello, my dear beat'em up lovers, I bet you already know about the #1 site devoted to brawlers - PunchPedia.
But it didn't have updates for 5 years, so it's time to make it live again. Unfortunately I don't have time to contritbute and don't have enough Backend skills to add some features to PunchPedia. ...Buuuuut I have to practise Frontend and making another ToDo List is boring as hell. So why not learn and make something useful at the same time? (I talked with creator of PunchPedia and he is ok with use of his site data).

So here it is, Frontend-powered Beat'em Up World: Beat'em Up World

Pros: Filter by ALL parameters (most of them are not so useful but still that's cool), no need for hosting, easy to contribute via Pull Requests, Beat'em Ups "API".
Cons: backend as JSON, no cool domain name.

Feel free to add new games here easily: GitHub - s-pyadyshev/beat-em-ups-api: Beat'em Ups "API"
I hope that this project will help us to revive interest in Beat'em Up genre and make the beat'em ups database 100% completed. But you still may contribute to PunchPedia as well. Just let us know.

I'd like to see your comments: which features should be added, what should be enhanced/removed etc., any feedback is appreciated!.
GitHub - s-pyadyshev/beat-em-up-world: Site about Beat'em Ups based on PunchPedia.com: the most complete list (600+ games), React 16.13, Redux, TypeScript, SCSS. Charts, Disqus comments, detail pages (image/video sliders), filters. - source code
I started using again your website.
What I miss in "Beat'em up world" compared to Punchpedia, is the result as screenshots.
With tons and tons of possible games, it would be very useful to have a preview of the game as a picture of actual gameplay.
It can be an option for results of serach.
-display the name of the game
or
-display title screen (screenshot1)
or
-display ingame screenshot (screenshot2)

Also what about a seach option of game studio or company. like all games by sega, capcom, konami etc.

Back
Top Bottom