• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Linux Appimage

msmalik681

OpenBOR Developer
Staff member
Here is a quick tutorial on how to make a Linux appimage of OpenBOR as requested by @hechelion

Download my appimage kit: OpenBOR AppImage Kit.tar

Now compile OpenBOR from source for linux and place it in the folder you just downloaded it should be named "OpenBOR" this is the default name so you should not need to change anything. Make sure both "build.sh" and "linuxdeploy-x86_64.AppImage" are executable. Now run build.sh in a terminal window if everything went right you will now have a appimage of OpenBOR.

As a side note you should compile OpenBOR in a older distro as possible this will make the final appimage compatible with more Linux distros otherwise the appimage you made will not work with any version of glibc older then the one your system was using.

Last edited:
so are there just a collection of appimage's you can download for each game? or do you have to create them individually for each game? it would be nice to just have an appimage download for say avengers united battle force.

OpenBOR is not a emulator but it works like a emulator you download the application then save the games to a pak folder and pick the one you want to play upon boot

I'm well aware of that. I recently got a steam deck and I'm trying to launch openbor games through emulationstation but it only recognizes appimage files so that's why I need them. And I have zero experience with linix.

OpenBOR is not a emulator but it works like a emulator you download the application then save the games to a pak folder and pick the one you want to play upon boot
same as windows, if you only have one .pak file it should directly open a single game bypassing the menu - (i hope) ?

if so
@Thatspiceguy remember some games can only run well using a specific version of the engine, follow the procedure with only one game inside the paks folder and an older engine version, & find a way to give it a custom thumbnail or Icon to differentiate it from the standard openbor with the multi-game menu

ok i got the appimage to work but how do you make an individual appimage file for each game so when i execute it in emulationstation it just boots that particular game not bring me to the openbor program to pick which pak to run?

Back
Top Bottom