• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

La-Quien Tales

@maxman, @O Ilusionista, @danno, @machok, @Bloodbane, @Kratus,

Thanks a ton for the support. Here's another quick prototyping to test the walking animation in game. Valis can't run, jump, fight, or cast any spells yet, but at least he can pace around impatiently. :p

DC
Nice work!
If I can be nitpicky, you would need a transition frame from his idle to his walk animation. Take a look at the blade position and you will get it.

So great to see your character come to life.

Yes, this is the best moment when creating original characters...
Even customs etc. (for me)

Indeed it is! The trick now is conveying his personality through action. Let's face it, Valis is a fairly generic visual design, and nobody is ever going to read the story stuff, so it's up to the animations to do that. Otherwise people will just assume he's Ryu in a coat.

Nice work!
If I can be nitpicky, you would need a transition frame from his idle to his walk animation. Take a look at the blade position and you will get it.

I already had a plan for that. :)

I knew that idle stance would be sudden in and out. His idle is going to have a universal transition in, and certain animations like walking will get a startling transition from it.

DC

@DCurrent
i have a request of sorts, since it is very likely that
you are going to do the other animation frames for his walk cycle to the left
(otherwise the character would seem to magically flip his shoulder thingy and sword)

i am hoping you could share a template for the animations of this type of Asymetrical character that has to have/respect the positions of items on its possession (in this case the right handed sword and the shoulder thingy)

@DCurrent
i have a request of sorts, since it is very likely that
you are going to do the other animation frames for his walk cycle to the left
(otherwise the character would seem to magically flip his shoulder thingy and sword)

i am hoping you could share a template for the animations of this type of Asymetrical character that has to have/respect the positions of items on its possession (in this case the right handed sword and the shoulder thingy)

Sorry, but while it's technically possible to have non-mirrored sprites, that's not a feature I'm planning on. His current design is already going to push upwards of 1K sprites. There's just no feasible way for me to double it and ever get him or anyone else done.

It's true that Valis is asymmetrical, but he's pretty tame compared to a lot of other sprite designs.

I might consider it for some of the simpler enemies, in which case I'll also consider some templates. What I won’t do is offer up my original work to get mangled and EX'd, super plused, or whatever else.

DC

Last edited:
true , not a lot of people notice.

Link from legend o zelda is the only character that comes to mind that keeps that detail in check and a lot of people probably dont know

His current design is already going to push upwards of 1K sprites. There's just no feasible way for me to double it and ever get him or anyone else done.
That spriter program seems to be very helpful when it comes to that type of issue... it may come in handy later if you decide to aventually do it.
I might consider it for some of the simpler enemies, in which case I'll also consider some templates.
thanks, i does not have to be Valis, any asymetrical would do, Now am wondering if some scripts in current modules would have to be modified to account for such updates or modifications tho

Now am wondering if some scripts in current modules would have to be modified to account for such updates or modifications tho

Not really. Just binding (ex. grappling), and that would be pretty simple in most cases. It just depends on the visual design of the sprite.

DC

Made some adjustments the other day, forgot to post them. @Piccolo's updates to CMT makes exporting animations with in game palette a lot less cumbersome than Photoshop. The main changes are motion of Valis's cape and the tail of his tabard to (hopefully) make the motion more organic looking.

OldNew
valis-walk-0-lrg.gifvalis-walk-1-lrg.gif

It's harder to see, but the tabard itself changes the shadowing on Valis's body:

1703453459977.png1703453522686.png

DC

Last edited:
Not sure why but I always remembering this blue hair guy when I see @DCurrent character 🤭

Funny enough, I like Dungeon Magic, but didn't really use stuff from it as inspiration. OTOH, Valis does have a lot of grappling in his arsenal, so you'll still be taking werewolves to Suplex City. :)

Unlike DM though, there's actually an abundance of... well, magic. Valis has a ton of spells to cast as well.

DC

Last edited:
@machok,

Since you brought up Gren, I probably should have clarified as well, don't let the hair color and my limited art talents fool you. Valis is NOT east Asian in any way, shape, or form. This is even a plot point later in the story.

He's actually half elven (Human father, elf mother), and 20 years old in the game. This story excerpt is from when he was 14, but his appearance doesn't change much other than putting on more muscle:

Surrounded by a hushed group of spectators, two young combatants circled each other. Immediately on sight, a pair of unique characteristics set them apart from the crowd. To begin with, they were obviously identical twin brothers, sharing the same faces, soot black hair, and piercing dark eyes. Second, both of them possessed ears that drew to gentle points, a distinguishing mark against otherwise Caucasian features. Although outwardly early teens at most, the twins stood tall and stalwart, each stalking his counterpart with the practiced ease of a hardened veteran.

Several steps back and roughly centered between them, a short table with two crystals lay side by side. An unassuming man in his fifties seated himself behind them, having given the command to start. Elaborate tapestries adorned the white stone walls and framed each window. Glowing crystals similar to those on the table hung at regular intervals throughout the room, casting a gentle but ample light over the area.

From their attire, the boys were obviously of means, high station, or both. Each sported exquisite short-sleeved surcoats and short capes, all colored in vibrant harlequin patterns of silvery gray and carmine. Underneath and just visible above their collars lay a protective vestment of glittering chainmail. Long leather gloves, breeches, and heavy boots completed the ensembles.

If you're interested at all, here's the whole chapter:

DC

Last edited:
Nice @bWWd, thanks for the preview. I was thinking of using that interpolation app you posted a while back and even downloaded. Hadn't tried it yet though. Figured it would be messy with all the moving parts. Seeing the results, I pretty much have to now!

My plan was to just add two more frames for eight total. I'm on my phone and can't tell just by looking, how many did you add?

DC

Its double the frames ,actually it was interpolated by rife and patched up a bit, made gui for it cause its simple exe file, you have to upscale 800% then interpolate, and then scale down to original size and fix by placing bodyparts with better quality on interpolated frames, saves time.
my gui is in comments here [Feature Request] Add new 4.7 & 4.8 models · Issue #66 · nihui/rife-ncnn-vulkan
So actually it looked like this , so dont expect it ot fix eveyrthing but it shows you good inbetween spacings

Aseprite is also called libresprite and can be downloaded for free, it has layers when animating so youcan easily position bodyparts on top of the anim

int.gif
Some more examples vs originaler1.giferm6.gifa1 (1).gifa1 (1)_20.0fps_Model[anime_half].gif

Last edited:
@DCurrent
Your writing language is extraordinary sadly my english is not good enough to read a story/book novel type There's a lot of heavy language there that I don't understand 🙃

I was surprised that someone could be great at writing scripts, creating games, drawing, and writing books
truly multi-talented 🫡

@DCurrent
Your writing language is extraordinary sadly my english is not good enough to read a story/book novel type There's a lot of heavy language there that I don't understand 🙃

I was surprised that someone could be great at writing scripts, creating games, drawing, and writing books
truly multi-talented 🫡

Holy smokes @machok, that's an amazing compliment! Thank you sir! Truth though? Multi-talented is a bit generous. I'm just high functioning ADHD in real life and dabble in a lot of stuff. I have a very broad range of knowledge but I'm not particularly good at any one thing. :)

DC

Just for fun, I did this quick radar chart of the planned playable character stats. My intent is to have something like this in game at character selection, but replacing the words with compact icons. Just a plan at this point, but I think it would look cool once dressed up a bit.

1704174618974.png

1704171187818.png

1704174839471.png

1704174991056.png

1704175085863.png

1704175160371.png

1704175254846.png

DC

I wnder where intelligence and charisma will matter in actual gameplay scenario, a conversation maybe ?

BTW DC do you plan to setup github runner on openbor ? so you can compile quickly and no hassle to setup envo ?

Back
Top Bottom