• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Get Mame'd!

DCurrent

Site Owner, OpenBOR Project Leader
Staff member
Fellow hobbyists, check this out.

A childhood friend of mine who teaches vocational electric and electronics started his MAME cabinet a while back, and is now nearing completion. What sets it apart from most are the constituents and craftsmanship. I've seen plenty of setups that had nice sticks, screens, and whatnot, but the cabinets themselves tend to be a bit thrown together. Not here.

This subject is being constructed ground up with high quality materials, precise cuts, and exquisite attention to detail. Assuming that's still the case, he has also enlisted yours truly to do the artwork when assembly is complete.

• 60mm competition sticks
  • Retractable castors
  • Custom cut marque with rotating color back-lighting
  • Coin door on order (pay to play, lol)

IIRC it's powered by a solid state terminal with 1080p plasma monitor, but in any case it has hinged component access and pull out drawers for quick swapping.

The downside is quality takes time - but when finished this thing will be a beast. Who's up for a whoppin' at Samurai Shodown II?  8)

DC

bkp_mame_1.jpg

bkp_mame_2.jpg

bkp_mame_3.jpg

bkp_mame_4.jpg

If we talkin' SNK titles, I'm more of a Mutation Nation or Robo Army guy. That aside, it looks pretty good, never seen a "naked" cabinet before, but I'm sure you'll have it lookin' better once you get the artwork down.  8)

x)

nice fat cabinet, will be great with some big speakers under that marquee.  Dont cheap out on speakers, get something decent.  I can see a lot of joins and gaps that need to be fixed but he's probably sanding and filling it it all next.

I don't really like the screen nor the bezel area.  This cabinet is just screaming for a 29" CRT  ;D

Great!
This is one of my secret dreams.
But it would be hard since my place is "packed" with art/drawing/painting stuff and martial arts training equipement.

Perhaps I'll go for a smaller model even if the bigger are best!

BeasTie said:

Pretty sure he'll stick with the plasma, but yeah it'll have good internal sound. As I recall, it has or will have hard ports in the back for USB, RJ45, and F-type... meaning you can also plug the audio directly to an external sound system if you like.

nedflandeurse said:

Don't feel bad - I don't have one at all or any plans to. I'm perfectly happy keeping a hidden terminal hooked to the living room TV, and even that doesn't get used very often. If I want some MAME action I usually just fire it up on my laptop.

DC

very nice! i want to buy one too, there is one talented guy in the city that i live that make custom arcade cabinets, he have one youtube channel and i try to contact him but he never replied me, i want a neo geo replica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoBlZsE93L0

ive always dreamt of making one just like this but having the artwork for burnkingdom on it like its a real arcade. one day in my man cave ill build a openbor arcade cabinet.

Damon Caskey said:
Don't feel bad - I don't have one at all or any plans to. I'm perfectly happy keeping a hidden terminal hooked to the living room TV, and even that doesn't get used very often. If I want some MAME action I usually just fire it up on my laptop.

DC
Thanks
I never tried this type of alternative, but it could be nice as well!

If space and cost is a problem, there is some pretty nifty plans out there that aren't bartops, they're designed to be easily built on the cheap by anyone with some basic tools.   

Like these Vigolix cabinets.
http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Super-Easy-Arcade-Machine-from-1-Sheet-of-Plywoo/

F7TJ4ELHFSHTW6W.MEDIUM.jpg

If you want real arcade hardware and not a Pie/PC running emulators, just buy a JAMMA harness and multi game pcb instead of a keyboard encoder.  You can get something like pandora's box pretty cheap these days with a few hundred games on it.  Also if you go the JAMMA option you have the real thing, you can hook up original arcade boards, CRT's etc.  And if you decide to upgrade later to a bigger cabinet you can reuse all the parts.

under the plastic these are small PCB's that will fit any cabinet.
HTB1YEnDKpXXXXXVXVXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg

Thanks for showing the progress!
It's very classy and flashy at the same time.
I'm feeling a little envious  ::)

I didn't think it was worth me starting a new thread,  I made an bar top arcade

31muZM0.jpg

I made two different controllers, one side is sanwa the other side is happ, it was a pain in the neck to do as I had to make my own customised wiring system

pCu8eJc.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cB1FG5b2Jc

Damon
It looks great. I love my cabinet too. I'm staying with family for a few months but when I move back into my place...I will post a picture of mine I built a few years ago....It has multi game designs Megman-Castelvania and my yellow knob is a Pac-man lol. I had to send it to this guy in Florida that did the art for me but it was worth it. I have it set up for Atomiswave and Mame NEO GEO. There is a cabinet Facebook group where people post pics all the time. A lot of people tell me they don't have more than $100 in there cabinets.  This guy KMFDManac found a way to add CD sound to arcade graphics for SOME titles. I would love to let you stomp me to Samurai Showdown 2 lol....it would be nice just to have a 2nd player for once lol. 

danno, your opponents are going to complain about the different sticks (no fair you got the round one / no fair you got the long one )

growing up in the thick of the arcade cabinet era, i kinda miss them, but i got so obssesed with playing on big screens & like the N64 pad so much that i cant got back...

oldyz hahaha yeah, I made different controllers for my own use really, I could never decide which I liked best so decided to make both style arcade sticks, The whole project is a nod to my childhood and reconnecting with that, I loved arcades growing up and although I prefer a pad and big tv too there is a certain magic the playing on arcade, I do like playing the capcom and neo geo games on arcades, sat on a couch with a pad playing Cadillac's and dinosaurs just ain't right :)

Back
Top Bottom