• All, I am currently in the process of migrating domain registrations. During this time there may be some intermittent outages or slowdowns. Please contact staff if you have any questions.

Amiga 500 - Street Fighter 1

msmalik681

OpenBOR Developer
Staff member
The first time I ever thought about modding any kind of game was when I played street fighter 1 on the amiga it really sucked and amount of text can visualise how bad this game was just see for yourself.

So I found a game making engine called Scorpion Engine that could make games for a amiga 500 with no actual assembly coding needed. I jumped on the opportunity to code the better street fighter game I prayed for as a kid.

Here is some videos showing my progress:

[youtube]

[youtube]

Watching that original Amiga footage was actually painful, I really Like how you've gotten past the button limitation and using long press for heavy attacks, great work man, I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

The first time I ever thought about modding any kind of game was when I played street fighter 1 on the amiga it really sucked and amount of text can visualise how bad this game was just see for yourself.

So I found a game making engine called Scorpion Engine that could make games for a amiga 500 with no actual assembly coding needed. I jumped on the opportunity to code the better street fighter game I prayed for as a kid.

[youtube]

[youtube]

@msmalik681,

You think that's bad, I once paid actual money for the Commodore 64 port... 🤐

I like what you've done so far, especially using the World Heroes style attack strength setup. Looks nice and smooth. I never had an Amiga, but I've studied its hardware quite a bit. One thing that bugs me is most games I've seen on it have really janky scrolling and physics. Thankfully you seem to have taken care of that.

DC

Yes, I just saw that, and it makes me feel really glad to live in an era where classic systems get a bit more open to create homebrew or graphics mods etc.
I saw something like that for Megadrive as well.

Good luck with that. It's absolutely awesome!

[youtube]

[youtube]
This is other engine, malik?

Thanks for the encouragement guys and @DCurrent the c64 port gameplay is better then the amiga but graphically it sucks.

@Blade Master yes this is a engine for making amiga games. There is a openbor port for amiga but it requires a very strong amiga like the 4000 or some kind of cpu + ram upgrade. I grew up with a amiga 600.

Ohhh didn’t know such an engine existed!!
Guess we’ll start seeing growing indie games for Amiga, which is great!!

What about the music? Amiga is infamous for the lack of music/sound effects

Keep the good work Malik!!! With what you have you already surpassed the original by a mile!!

This engine is fairly new and still in active development.

Well sound effects are simple conversions from pcm. Think midi converts to the music format but i have not tried yet.

Thanks but truth be told you cant do worse then the original lol

Thanks for the encouragement guys and @DCurrent the c64 port gameplay is better then the amiga but graphically it sucks.

@Blade Master yes this is a engine for making amiga games. There is a openbor port for amiga but it requires a very strong amiga like the 4000 or some kind of cpu + ram upgrade. I grew up with a amiga 600.
That's great, I never had one. But I've heard that the Amiga is one of a kind. It is pretty and functional. Good job Malik!!

Just updated the github page. I have made progress with the game its getting very confusing now with all the logic. Here are some updates off the top of my head:

• Camera that will hold the centre of both players.
  • All Ryu's animations.
  • HUD with working health bars.
  • Enemy AI can now attack the player.
  • Enemy AI will always face the player.

I will make a video showing the progress soon.

sf1-amiga-22-10.png

I'll recolour some enemies for you, speed it up for ya. Let me know your parameters and how you wanna go about it and I'll sort it.

Last edited:
If only re-colouring was so easy it is a very tight 16 colours shared with ryu, tell the truth the sprite work is not such a big issue its the coding most things you take for granted in openbor.

@danno I will post here some enemies with a reference image to work off.

16 coloured global palette? or do stages have one separate palette and characters have another?, not sure how the engine works but Geeez I look forward to the challenge.

If you wanna just send me the palette I'll start applying it to the enemies from the arcade, tweak them here and there and see how it fits.

Geez that was definitely a challenge, I only had 13 colours to work with and vital colours like red were completely missing, the arcade sprites have such a larger gradient, I did a little colour separation too just to make some of them pop a little more, I would probably use darker blues on geki and mike to finalize but I've managed to downgrade the gradients so you can swap out any colours from the 13 as you like.

fPK5Svn.png

wow that was super fast good job thanks. I left out geki, ryu and retsu as I have already converted them. Also I may still review some of these as I may be able to move some colours around based on how many colours were used on the stage.

Back
Top Bottom